Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 2, 2010
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"The video arcade is down the street. Here we just sell small rectangular objects. They're called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no beep-beep-beep-beeps. On your way please."
- Mr. Koreander (Thomas Hill) to Bastian (Barrett Oliver)
"Never give up and good luck will find you."
- Falcor to Bastian
Variety - 07/04/1984
"...A marvelously realized flight of pure fantasy..."
Empire - 09/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "Barret Oliver, the nine year-old lead, suits the bookwormish loner who opens the pages to Fantasia's world of rock-eating giants...[and] unforgiving swamps..."
In director Wolfgang Petersen's charming fantasy, Bastian (Barrett Oliver), a lonely schoolboy alienated from his father and bullied by his classmates, retreats to an attic where he becomes engrossed in a book entitled THE NEVERENDING STORY. It is the tale of a magical kingdom appropriately named Fantasia, since it is a world born of human fantasies. However, as humanity loses faith in the power of imagination, the once-thriving Fantasia is being destroyed by great storms of Nothingness. Dangerously ill herself, Fantasia's youthful empress (Tami Stronach) sends the young warrior Atreju (Noah Hathaway) on a quest to find a cure for the kingdom. After encountering flying dragons, swamp monsters and a vast assortment of other strange creatures, the young hero discovers that only a human boy can save Fantasia, at which point Bastian is drawn, literally, into the pages of the story.
In THE NEVERENDING STORY, a young boy is physically drawn into a fantasy novel he is reading, and there he struggles to save an incredible world from destruction.
Based On A Novel |
Family (General) |
Fantasy Worlds |
Kids Adventure |
Theatrical Release |
Witches And Wizards
- Theatrical release: July 1984.
- Filmed at the Bavaria Studios in Munich, Germany. Shooting completed May 1984.
- Budget estimated at $27 million.
This was director Wolfgang Petersen's first English-language film.
- Filmed at the Bavaria Studios in Munich, Germany, in Technovision and Eastmancolor; prints by Technicolor.
- Shooting completed May 1984. Released in the USA July, 1984.
- Additional technical credits: conceptual, scenery, creature and costume design by Ul DeRico; aerial photography by Clay Lacy Aviation, Apogee Productions, Inc., Continental Camera Systems and Stephen J. Wright; chief animatronics engineering, mechanical special effects and creatures by Giuseppe Tortora; cloud effects unit supervisor, Mike White; cloud effects photography by Jair Ganor.
- This was Wolfgang Petersen's first English-language film. He later went on to direct the 1993 hit "In the Line of Fire," starring Clint Eastwood.
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Censors.