From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$5.52 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.45 (57% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1478 (1967)
Description by OLDIES.com:
In this classic 1967 reissue, Harris is backed by Cedar Walton on piano, Ron Carter on bass, and either Bobby Thomas or Billy Higgins on drums. "Tender Storm" features Harris' first usage of the Varitone (amplified) saxophone, which saw much greater usage on albums following this one.
- 1.When A Man Loves A Woman
- 2.My Funny Valentine
- 3.The Tender Storm
- 4.On A Clear Day (You Can See Forever)
- 5.A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square
- 6.If Ever I Would Leave You
Personnel: Eddie Harris (tenor saxophone, Varitone saxophone); Cedar Walton (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Bobby Thomas, Billy Higgins (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1478). Includes liner notes by Michael Morgan.
In a sense, this LP was really the calm before the storm, the album where Eddie Harris unveiled some new wrinkles in his act that would explode on the very next album Electrifying, while hewing tightly to a standard acoustic quartet format. Here he starts to use the Varitone amplified saxophone, albeit very discreetly, as he sticks mostly to the doubled octave effects for a suave tone that allows for some slippery swinging. While Harris' soon-to-be-distinctive funk mode is in full bloom on the opening track, "When a Man Loves a Woman," his lovely ballad form from the VeeJay days remains intact on "Berkeley Square." The support couldn't be more professional -- Cedar Walton (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Billy Higgins or Bobby Thomas (drums) -- nor the selections more conventional (contemporary and past standards, plus Harris' title track), which ought to make this a candidate for reissue in our conservative jazz climate. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Eddie HarrisCool Sax Warm Heart / Cool Sax From Hollywood To Broadway (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Bad Luck Is All I Have / How Can You Live Like That? (CD)
$11.03 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 51,096
- UPC: 090431635827
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $7.17 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY