Gogi Grant Her Very Best
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Various Artists ~ Amazing Early 60s Box: 88 Hard-To-Find Hits (3-CD) ~ $29.59
- by Connie Francis ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $6.74
- by Patti Page ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $8.34
- by Teresa Brewer ~ Best of Teresa Brewer [Import] ~ $9.90
- Released: April 9, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Varese Sarabande
- 1.The Wayward Wind
- 2.Suddenly There's a Valley
- 3.You're in Love
- 4.Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams
- 5.All of Me
- 6.Love Is
- 7.I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart
- 8.What's New?
- 9.I Gave You My Heart
- 10.It Happens Every Spring
- 11.Love Is the Sweetest Thing
- 12.When the Tide Is High
- 13.Who Are We
- 14.One I Love, The (Belongs to Somebody Else)
- 15.We Believe in Love
- 16.I'll Never Be the Same
- 17.There Will Never Be Another You
- 18.I Don't Want to Walk Without You
Personnel includes: Gogi Grant (vocals); Buddy Bregman (arranger).
Compilation producers: Cary E. Mansfield, Steve Massie, Mary Wekser.
Recorded between 1955 & 1957. Includes liner notes by Joseph Lanza.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Liner Note Author: Joseph Lanza.
Photographer: Michael Ochs.
These 18 songs are all drawn from Grant's Era recordings in the mid-'50s. That period certainly found her at her commercial prime, encompassing the 1956 number one hit "The Wayward Wind" and the 1955 Top Tenner "Suddenly There's a Valley," which lead off this collection. Grant might have been better suited, though, to an era five or ten years prior to the one at which she hit her peak. These easy listening vocals, with slight shades of torch song jazz and strong debts to theatrical show tunes, were heavy on the sentiment and stitched by stiff cinematic orchestral big-band arrangements and backup choirs. Grant, too, was a capable but second-tier adult pop singer, not one given to reaching deep for expressive emotion. Certainly "The Wayward Wind" is a highlight, with a more memorable melody than the other tracks and an arrangement spotlighting memorable French horn declarations. She loosens up just a bit on the jazziest numbers, like "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams" and "Love Is the Sweetest Thing," and "When the Tide Is High" has some of the twisting melodic melodrama of "The Wayward Wind." ~ Richie Unterberger
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$6.74 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE