David 'Fathead' Newman
Fathead Comes On
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$6.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by David 'Fathead' Newman ~ Collectables Classics (5-CD) ~ $38.98 (Save 35%)
- Recording Engineers: Phil Lehle & Phil Ramone
- Supervision: Nesuhi Ertegun
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1399 (1962)
Description by OLDIES.com:
David "Fathead" Newman recorded this album for Atlantic during his stint with Ray Charles' band (which lasted from 1954-1964). Personnel on the album include Hank Crawford, Edgar Willis and Bruno Carr.
- 1.Unchain My Heart
- 3.Alto Sauce
- 4.Hello There
- 6.Esther's Melody
- 7.Lady Day
Personnel: David "Fathead" Newman (alto & tenor saxophones, flute); Marcus Belgrave (trumpet); Norris Austin, Hank Crawford (piano); Jimmy Jefferson, Edgar Willis (bass); Charlie Persip, Bruno Carr (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1399). Includes liner notes by Mort Fega.
This 1962 David "Fathead" Newman album picks up where 1961's STRAIGHT AHEAD left off. However, this release is slightly less bebop-oriented. Instead, Newman blends together hard bop with his own R&B roots. (He was a key member of Ray Charles's band for many years.)
FATHEAD COMES ON is a very bluesy album, but also contains its share of tricky melodies and ambitious arrangements. Highlights include "Unchain My Heart," which is the funkiest tune on the disc, and "Cellar-Groove," which begins with a clever train rhythm; here the locomotive sound is simulated by the repetitive hi-hat work of Charlie Persip and the boogie-woogie playing of pianist Norris Austin. The disc ends with "Lady Day," a tribute to Billie Holiday, which is, not surprisingly, a somber ballad. Hard-bop records from this era typically lean on the influence of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, but FATHEAD COMES ON is a statement unto itself, and therefore, a very compelling listen.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,412
- UPC: 090431633823
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE