Lower Basin Street Revisited
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$5.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.78 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Produced By: Sonny Burke
- Orchestra Conducted By: Jack Elliot
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Reprise 6150 (1965)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Dinah Shore received national attention from her appearances on the NBC-Blue radio network show called "The Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street." Originally released by Reprise in 1965, this album recreates the original format of the radio show with a mixure of some old evergreens with new trimmings and some current songs done in a contemporary fashion.
- 1.Basin Street Blues
- 3.Nashville Blues
- 4.I Can't Stop Loving You
- 5.My Man's Gone Now
- 6.Cry Me A River
- 7.Bye Bye Blues
- 8.Nobody Else But Me
- 9.I Had Myself A True Love
Personnel includes: Dinah Shotre (vocals); Jack Elliott (arranger, conductor).
Originally released on Reprise (6150).
Liner Note Author: Sonny Burke .
Photographer: Herb Ball.
Arrangers: Jack D. Elliot ; Johnny Mandel; Allyn Ferguson.
Like many of her peers in traditional pop, Dinah Shore signed on with Frank Sinatra's Reprise Records label in the 1960s. But unlike some of the others, Shore was only maintaining a vestigial career as a recording artist by then. A major singing star of the 1940s and early '50s while contracted to RCA Victor, Columbia, and RCA again, Shore had moved to Capitol Records in 1959 and stayed until 1962, without notable success. When she left, she stopped recording, and her long-running TV show went off in 1963, further diminishing her stature. By the time she reached Reprise in 1965, Sinatra had sold it to Warner Bros. Records, and Lower Basin Street Revisited (its title keying off of The Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street, the 1940s radio show that made Shore a star) proved to be a one-off when it didn't sell. That's a shame, because it's a charming record on which Shore turns in buoyant and winning renditions of such songs as "Do-Re-Mi" from The Sound of Music and "More" from Mondo Cane. Like a true '40s star, Shore is content to glide along the surface of the tunes. Particularly notable in this regard is her version of "Cry Me a River," a tune that became a kind of ultimate torch song in the hands of Julie London, its sense of melodramatic recrimination reinforced by Barbra Streisand in 1963. Shore will have none of that. To her, it's just another musical vehicle for her honeyed vocal tones. Similarly, her "My Man's Gone Now" from Porgy & Bess is rendered without any sense of romantic loss. By 1965, such cool stylization was becoming outdated, but that wasn't Shore's fault, and Lower Basin Street Revisited remains a smooth, entertaining collection of 1960s performances from a top 1940s singer. ~ William Ruhlmann
Polly BergenAll Alone By The Telephone / Four Seasons of Love (CD)
$8.78 CYBER SALE
Warner Bros. and the Homefront Collection (This Is The Army... (DVD)
$9.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,273
- UPC: 090431632024
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $6.74 CYBER SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
Pop Vocal: Classic Music Categories:
- Edie Adams There's So Much More (CD) ~ $7.80
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $7.78 CYBER SALE
- Anna Maria Alberghetti Warm and Willing (CD) ~ $18.51 CYBER SALE
- The Ames Brothers Hello Italy! / Knees Up! Mother Brown (And Other Funny Songs) (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER SALE
- The Ames Brothers They, They, They Are the Ones (2-CD) ~ $17.99 CYBER SALE