Ray Price Beauty Is. The Final Sessions
17 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$11.43 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.55 (18% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 15, 2014
- Originally Released: 2014
- Label: Amerimonte LLC
- 1.Beauty Lies In the Eyes of the Beholder - (featuring Vince Gill)
- 2.This Thing of Ours
- 3.I Can See You With My Eyes Closed
- 4.It Always Will Be
- 5.No More Songs To Sing
- 6.Affair To Remember, An - (featuring Martina McBride)
- 8.Until Then - (featuring Vince Gill)
- 9.Beautiful Dreamer
- 10.I Wish I Was 18 Again
- 11.Among My Souvenirs
- 12.I Believe
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: John Willis, Steve Gibson (guitar); Paul Franklin , Scott Sanders (steel guitar); Cindy Wyatt (harp); Aubrey Haynie (fiddle); Stefan Petrescu, Carole Rabinowitz, Janet Darnall, Betsy Lamb, Cathy Umstead, Conni Ellisor, Pam Sixfon, Sara Weist, The Nashville String Machine, Jim Grosjean, Anthony LaMarchina, Mary Kathryn Van Osdale, Bruce Wethey, Kris Wilkinson, Dave Davidson, Alan Umstead, Monisa Angell, David Angell (strings); John Hobbs (pan flute, piano); Tony Harrell (harpsichord); Charlie McCoy (vibraphone); Eddie Bayers (drums); Jon Mark Ivey, Lisa Silver, Bergen White, Kira Small (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Kyle Lehning.
Recording information: Ocean Way, Nashville, TN; Quadraphonic, Nashville, TN; The Compound, Nashville, TN.
Photographers: Ed Rode; Jim Shea.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Daniel Bloom; Danny Griego; Dana Bloom; Steve Popovich.
Arranger: Bergen White.
Ray Price had sort of a split personality as a country artist, balancing his career between the hard honky tonk shuffles full of twin fiddles he so energetically recorded in his earlier years and orchestrated, string-laden, pop-aimed ballads like "Make the World Go Away" that came later and earned him the reputation as "the Tony Bennett of Country." He did both styles with commercial success, becoming a subtle innovator in Nashville in his own way, quick to pick up on the new, young, and lyrically progressive country songwriters like Kris Kristofferson when they appeared on the scene. Price's ability to adapt his sound, his warm, comfortable singing and phrasing, and his ear for a good song (particularly if it was a gently bittersweet love ballad) gave his long career a kind of sustained elegance. This set contains Price's last recording sessions. He had already been struggling with serious health issues for a couple of years when he approached longtime friend and producer Fred Foster early in 2013 with the idea of recording one last album. Price was 87 at the time and well aware that this would be his last album, and he chose a dozen pop and country ballads to track. The album was finished in October of 2013, and Price passed less than two months later in December, making it a true swan song. Price's voice shows the wear and tear of the years, and no doubt his ill health, but it was still a powerfully vernacular vehicle, comfortable-sounding and full of his trademark graceful phrasing and flow. In all honesty, nothing here eclipses earlier pop-country masterpieces like "Make the World Go Away," but as a last statement, Beauty Is... has the poignant feel of a last act, a warm, sweet, and haunting summation of all that went before. The opener, "Beauty Lies in the Eyes of the Beholder," sets the tone, with a light but still lush string arrangement backing Price's dignified and almost breathless vocal. Songs like "No More Songs to Sing," "Beautiful Dreamer," and "I Wish I Was 18 Again" all take on added depth and nuance for being sung at the very end of Price's life, making this a sweet, gentle coda and a beautifully fragile endnote to an iconic legacy. ~ Steve Leggett
Mac WisemanThe Best of: Essential Original Masters 25 Classics
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Merle Haggard My Favorite Memory / Big City (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Buy For Me The Rain / Dance Little Jean (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE