Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$3.18 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$11.79 (79% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- The album "Brookmeyer" was originally released in 1957 as VIK-LX-1071. Recorded at Webster Hall, N.Y.C. on September 19, October 9 and 15, 1956.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: VIK LX 1071 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Bob Brookmeyer was a product of the rich and fertile Kansas City jazz scene. A top valve trombonist and very advanced arranger, he first came to fame in 1953 as part of Stan Getz's group. On this outing, he's recorded in three separate contexts to showcase him fully -- with a big band, with a standard medium-size jazz group, and as part of an eight-man combo, in which he plays both trombone and solo piano.
- 1.Oh Jane Snavely
- 2.Nature Boy
- 3.Just You, Just Me
- 4.I'm Old Fashioned
- 5.Gone Latin
- 6.Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart
- 7.Big City Life
- 8.Confusion Blues
- 9.Open Country
Personnel: Bob Brookmeyer (trombone, valve trombone, piano); Gene Quill (alto saxophone); Al Cohn (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Ed Wasserman (tenor saxophone); Al Epstein (baritone saxophone, English horn); Sol Schlinger (baritone saxophone); Bernie Glow, Joe Ferrante, Al DeRisi, Lou Oles, Nick Travis (trumpet); Joe Singer (French horn); Don Butterfield (tuba); Hank Jones (piano); Buddy Jones, Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums).
Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York on September 19 and October 9 & 15, 1956. Includes liner notes by Burt Korall.
Personnel: Bob Brookmeyer (trumpet); Eddie Wasserman, Al Cohn (saxophone); Al Epstein (tenor saxophone); Sol Schlinger (baritone saxophone); Joe Ferrante , Lou Oles, Bernie Glow, Nick Travis, Al DeRisi (trumpet); Joe Singer (French horn, tuba); Don Butterfield (trombone, piano); Hank Jones (piano); Osie Johnson (drums).
Liner Note Author: Burt Korall.
Recording information: 09/19/1956-10/15/1956.
Bob Brookmeyer leads two different big bands and an octet on a trio of 1956 sessions made for RCA Victor. Drawing from the vast array of talent in New York City at the time, the valve trombonist scored several standards and a host of originals for these dates. The snappy miniature "Oh Jane Snavely" says a lot about his talent in just over three minutes, while an extended workout of "Open Country" indicates why this piece became an important part of his repertoire and a favorite of Gerry Mulligan, too. His exotic scoring of "Nature Boy" includes both Joe Singer's French horn and Don Butterfield's tuba in a stunning chart. The brilliant voicings used in his interpretation of "I'm Old Fashioned" bring a new dimension to this standard, which still sounds fresh decades later. Brookmeyer shines whenever he takes an opportunity to solo, as do his fellow musicians. It is peculiar that the leader is listed as Bobby on this release, a moniker that does not turn up elsewhere in his vast discography. Although this album was reissued on LP by RCA in France during the early '80s, it is long overdue to appear on CD. ~ Ken Dryden
Phineas Newborn, Jr.Plays Harold Arlen's Music From "Jamaica" / Fabulous Phineas (CD)
$3.98 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 4,225
- UPC: 090431629420
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- The Ohio Express Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Marshmallow Overcoat All You Need Is Fuzz (CD) ~ $1.58 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Top of the Charts (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER SALE
- Roy Acuff Greatest Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- The Band The Best of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down: Recorded Live In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER SALE
- 10 Years The Autumn Effect (CD) ~ $6.92 CYBER SALE