|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Original Story By George du Maurier
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 4 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 9, 2003
- Originally Released: 1931
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Marian Marsh, Donald Crisp, Carmel Myers, Lumsden Hare, Luis Alberni & Paul Porcasi|
|Directed by||Archie Mayo|
|Edited by||William Holmes|
|Screenwriting by||J. G. Alexander & George L. Du Maurier|
|Director of Photography:||Barney McGill|
Description by OLDIES.com:
This 1931 Warner Bros. classic is noteworthy for its expressionistic sets and camerawork and Barrymore's mesmerizing performance. Based on the novel Trilby by George Du Maurier, this film popularized the term "a Svengali," (roughly translated - evil mentor.)
Director Archie Mayo's SVENGALI was the first sound version of this chilling tale, and remains the best. Marian Marsh is tantalizing as Svengali's unwitting victim, but the powerhouse performance belongs to John Barrymore, who was widely considered the greatest living American actor at the time of SVENGALI's release. Barrymore's performance in the title role stands among his very best efforts.
Svengali is a masterful and menacing hypnotist, bearded and unkempt, who draws a young woman, Trilby, into his lair. She has worked as a nude model for many artists and now, cajoled by Svengali's manipulative gift, she leaves behind her family in order to pursue a singing career on the concert circuit.
What Trilby does not know, however, is that she can perform only upon the hypnotist's command.
- George L. du Maurier, author of "Svengali," was the father of stage actor Gerald du Maurier and grandfather of novelist Daphne du Maurier.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 29 ratings.
For all you early '30's horror fans, this is a classic. Filmed the same year as 'Dracula' & 'Frankenstein', it abounds with much of the same charm. The cinematography is fantastic, with a tip of the hat to "Caligari" and the use of some fine impressionistic sets. To top it off,Alpha gives us a crystal clear print!The actors all turn in excellent performances. The beautiful Marian Marsh is absolutely stunning as 'Trilby'. Barrymore's performance is superb! Overall, a very pleasant way to spend 81 minutes.
Superb filming of the classic novel 'Trilby'! John Barrymore is outstanding as the evil hypnotist Svengali and pretty young Marian Marsh('Murder By Invitation') is just as good as the high spirited artists model Trilby that he puts under his spell. Great early sound film. Excellent camera work,sets and a striking miniature of the rooftops of Paris! One of those must see cinema classics!
- Sales Rank: 11,537
- UPC: 089218629296
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER WEEK
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $10.38 CYBER WEEK
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER WEEK
- 10cc Live in Concert (DVD) ~ $14.81 CYBER WEEK
- 2 Pac Tupac - Hip Hop Genius (DVD) ~ $6.15
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac / Notorious B.I.G. Tupac Vs. Biggie: The Legacy Continues (DVD) ~ $8.63