- 1:37: 1 ASPECT RATIO
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 6, 2014
- Originally Released: 1943
- Label: Olive Films
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.37
Performers, Cast and Crew:
An ex-newspaper man is saved from a vagrancy rap by the elderly editor of a failing paper. The two band together to expose political corruption through the written word, disregarding threats from a rival paper man. Academy Award Nominations: Best Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture.
A vagrant journalist wanders into a small town and finds himself caught up in intrigue when he tries to help an elderly newspaper publisher in her fight against crooked politicians.
- The film was produced by William Cagney, the star's brother; it was Jimmy Cagney's first independent feature, made about a year after he left Warner Brothers, where he had been under contract.
The last film he had made at Warners was the ever-popular hit, "Yankee Doodle Dandy," in which Cagney played composer/performer George M. Cohan.