Portrait of The Artist / The Four Brothers Sound
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$7.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- The album "Portrait Of The Artist" was originally released in 1960 as Atlantic 1320. "The Four Brothers Sound" was originally released in 1958 as Atlantic 1295.
- Released: June 28, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1320 (1960)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1295 (1958)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Bob Brookmeyer first started out as a pianist, but gained fame as a trombonist in the Gerry Mulligan quartet. A top arranger as well, he often switched back to piano and could hold his own with jazz's best. On this disc you'll also hear a set from Jimmy Giuffre. Since he began his career playing in the '40s, Giuffre has made a career out of creating surprising music.
- 1.Introduction & First Movement
- 2.Second Movement
- 3.Third Movement
- 4.Fourth Movement
- 5.It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
- 6.Mellow Drama
- 7.Out Of Nowhere
- 8.Darn That Dream
- 9.Four Brothers
- 10.Ode To Switzerland
- 11.Blues In The Barn
- 13.I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
- 14.Come Rain Or Come Shine
- 15.Memphis In June
- 16.Cabin In The Sky
- 17.Ol' Folks
2 LPs on 1 CD: Bob Brookmeyer: PORTRAIT OF AN ARTIST (1960)/Jimmy Giuffre: THE FOUR BROTHERS SOUND (1958).
Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Martin Williams.
PORTRAIT OF AN ARTIST:
Personnel: Bob Brookmeyer (trombone, piano); Gene Quill (alto saxophone, clarinet); Gene Allen (tenor & baritone saxophones); Al Cohn (tenor saxophone); Danny Bank (baritone saxophone, flute, bass clarinet); Ernie Royal, Bernie Glow, Nick Travis, Irvin Markowitz, Ray Copeland (trumpet); Earl Chapin, John Barrows (French horn); Frank Rehak (trombone); Don Butterfield, Bill Barber (tuba); George Duvivier (bass); Charlie Persip (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1320).
THE FOUR BROTHERS SOUND:
Personnel: Jimmy Giuffre (tenor saxophone); Bob Brookmeyer (piano); Jim Hall (guitar).
Originally released on Atlantic (1295).
Personnel: Bob Brookmeyer (trombone, piano); Danny Bank (flute, clarinet, baritone saxophone); Gene Quill (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Giuffre, Al Cohn (tenor saxophone); Ernie Royal, Irvin "Marky" Markowitz, Ray Copeland , Bernie Glow, Nick Travis (trumpet); John Barrows, Earl Chapin (French horn); Frank Rehak (trombone); Billy Barber , Don Butterfield (tuba); Charlie Persip (drums).
Recording information: 06/23/1958-04/06/1959.
In 1999, Collectables released Portrait of the Artist/Four Brothers Sound, which contained two complete albums -- Portrait of the Artist (1960, originally released on Atlantic) and Four Brothers Sound (1958, originally released on Atlantic) -- by Bob Brookmeyer on one compact disc. ~ Jason Birchmeier
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Jimmy GiuffreJimmy Giuffre 3 / The Music Man (Original Jazz Album) (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Curtis FullerSouth American Cooking / Magnificent Trombone Of (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 13,420
- UPC: 090431628423
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3