Soul Clinic / Blues Shout
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$11.99 (80% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Leo Wright ~ Soul Talk ~ $14.76
- The album "The Soul Clinic" was originally released in 1961 as Atlantic 1372. "Blues Shout" was originally released in 1960 as Atlantic 1358.
- Released: July 26, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1372 (1961)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1358 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Hank Crawford's soulful sound is instantly identifiable as his own and flexible enough to fit into several types of settings. On this selection we hear a more soulful side, and his soul-Jazz playing shines. On this disc, he's paired with an outing by Leo Wright. Texan Wright was an alto saxophonist, flutist, and clarinetist. He worked with Dizzy Gillespie from '59-62 and toured Europe extensively. On these tracks you'll rediscover this important bop/post-bop star.
- 1.Please Send Me Someone To Love
- 2.Easy Living
- 4.What A Difference A Day Made
- 5.Me And My Baby
- 6.Lorelei's Lament
- 7.Blue Stone
- 9.Angel Eyes
- 10.Autumn Leaves
- 11.Indian Summer
- 12.Blues Shout
- 13.Night In Tunisia
- 15.Two Moods
2 LPs on 1 CD: Hank Crawford: THE SOUL CLINIC (1961)/Leo Wright: BLUES SHOUT (1960).
Includes liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason and Leonard Feather.
THE SOUL CLINIC:
Personnel: Hank Crawford (alto saxophone, piano); David "Fathead" Newman (tenor saxophone); Leroy "Hog" Cooper (baritone saxophone); John Hunt (trumpet, flugelhorn); Phillip Guilbeau (trumpet); Edgar Willis (bass); Bruno Carr, Milt Turner (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1372).
Personnel: Leo Wright (alto saxophone, flute); Richard Williams (trumpet); Harry Lookofsky (violin); Junior Mance (piano); Art Davis (bass); Charlie Persip (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1358).
Personnel: Hank Crawford (alto saxophone, piano); Harry Lookofsky (violin); Leo Wright (flute, alto saxophone); David "Fathead" Newman (tenor saxophone); John Hunt (trumpet, flugelhorn); Richard Gene Williams , Philip Guilbeau (trumpet); Junior Mance (piano); Milt Turner, Bruno Carr, Charlie Persip (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Leonard Feather; Ralph J. Gleason.
Recording information: 1960-1961.
Arrangers: Gigi Gryce; Hank Crawford; Leo Wright.
The labels "soul" and "blues" don't exactly tell the story on this reissue of a 1960 session by saxophonist/flutist Leo Wright and a 1961 date by alto player Hank Crawford. The Crawford set is actually a pleasant, Kansas City-influenced swing date, while Wright's is, essentially, a session for bop quintet. Crawford's serviceable arrangements on Soul Clinic are Basie-style via Quincy Jones. There are a number of good moments when the music strips down to just soloist and rhythm. Elsewhere, though, the horns and boom-chick rhythm format gets thin and in need of the connecting tissue a guitar or piano could supply. Not surprisingly for a Crawford date, the best piece is the bluesiest: Crawford's "Blue Stone," where the leader gets a chance to briefly unleash his bebopper chops. Blues Shout benefits from the strong, supple rhythm section of drummer Charlie Persip, bassist Art Davis, and pianist Junior Mance, all of whom, along with Wright, had seen service with Dizzy Gillespie. Four tracks feature Wright on flute with violinist Harry Lookofsky, a player with boundless technique and a highly developed, personal sound. On the standard "Angel Eyes," Wright and Lookofsky combine for a finger-popping, cool-blues treatment of a tune that is usually handled as a smouldering ballad. On the remaining tracks, the leader, on alto now, is paired with the excellent, Gillespie-influenced Richard Williams on trumpet. The highlight is a crisp, energetic romp on "Night In Tunisia," very much in the style of "Bird" and "Diz." ~ Jim Todd
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Max RoachMax Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Shirley ScottShirley Scott & The Soul Saxes (King Curtis, Hank Crawford... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 246
- UPC: 090431628126
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- A Voyage to the Rain Forest (1998) A Voyage to the Rain Forest (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Marc Almond Tenement Symphony (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE