The Most Dangerous Game
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
More products that might interest you:
Available in a set:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 3 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 19, 2002
- Originally Released: 1932
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Fay Wray, Joel McCrea & Leslie Banks|
|Performer:||Robert Armstrong, Noble Johnson, Steve Clemente, Hale Hamilton & Leslie Banks|
|Directed by||Ernest B. Schoedsack, Irving Pichel & Ernest B. Shoedsack|
|Edited by||Archie Marshek|
|Screenwriting by||James Creelman|
|Composition by||Max Steiner|
|Produced by||David O. Selznick, Ernest B. Schoedsack & Merian C. Cooper|
|Director of Photography:||Henry Gerrard|
"...This is the most famous version of Richard Connell's often-filmed short story..."
"Relative to other early talkies it's action-packed and bloodthirsty..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
- The film was produced at the same time as "King Kong" using the same director-producer team.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 132 ratings.
As it should. Made at the same time and on many of the same sites as "King Kong". and featuring some of the same cast, this film is a fastpaced thriller about an evil count (Leslie Banks) who hunts the "most deadly game" - man. He's after Joel McCrea, a shipwrecked hunter himself, and Fay Wray - the most wonderful screamer who ever lived. Some lines are a little hammy at times and Banks tends to be too evil but, by and large, it's an exicitin way to spend a little over an hour! (And the swamp and the tree over the gorge? If youve seen the original King Kong - and who hasn't - you'll recognize them.)
Fine, thrilling film still hasn't lost it's atmosphere. McCrea is good as shipwrecked man hunted by the evil Banks. Banks gives an impressive performance and Wray is campy and fun to watch, as usual. You get to check out some of RKO's pre-King Kong sets, too!
First of all, I can't believe how good this print looks. Hardly a blemish anywhere, splendid contrast and depth of focus -- you can almost reach out and touch things, it's that sharp and clear.
Leslie Banks plays the mad Count Zaroff to perfection. Although the idea of men hunting men is naturally repugnant to us all, Zaroff really makes it sound plausible and even fun -- "outdoor chess," he calls it. And that in itself is scary.
As the shipwrecked big-game hunter Rainsford, Joel McCrea is Everyman writ large, and Fay wray is the prize awaiting the survivor of the mad hunt. Writing, cinematography, and direction are all top-notch. You'll love this incredible bargain DVD from Alpha!
The greatest and one of the most suspenseful "shorter" film from that period or any other
The greatest and most suspenseful "shorter" films from that period or any other! McCrea, Wray and Banks are all excellent in their respective roles as "the hunted" and the "hunter". Great special effects and many pre-"King Kong" jungle sets make it an absolute must. A well deserved classic!
Leslie Banks is masterful as a psychopathic Great White Hunter in this tense, atmospheric thriller. Cultured, ingratiating, threatening, mad...Banks handles his character's transitions seamlessly. He makes it look so easy...and makes the insane logic of his character sound sooo rational. Joel McCrae is absolutely perfect in the heroic role and as Banks' nemesis in love and the hunt. One of the most entertaining and coherent "horror" films from the 1930's. Kudos again to Alpha for adding this gen to their catalog.
Wowie-Zowie! This is the best looking print of this movie I have ever seen. Filmed on the sets used for "King Kong" this is the classic tale of man hunting man (and Woman) just for the sport of it. It is a suspense-thriller on a jungle like island with no place for the joel Mcrea and Fay wray to hide from Leslie Banks and his hunting hounds. The scene in Bank's trophy room is horrific. Picture and Sound qaulity on this dvd is the best. RKO did this one right and Alpha did it justice. For a dvd in the 5-10 dollar range, this one is a steal.
Reviewed by Rick Rogers, lifelong movie fanatic who was raised in a movie theater and grew up watching these classic films on the big screen.
- Sales Rank: 6,397
- UPC: 089218627599
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE