Billy Taylor Touch / One For Fun
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 6275
- "The Billy Taylor Touch" was originally released in 1958 as Atlantic 1277. Personnel: On "You Make Me Feel Young", "Earl May", "Can You Tell By Looking At Me" and "I Get A Kick Out Of You", Billy Taylor is accompanied by Earl May, bass & Ed Thigpen (drums). These tunes were recorded in 1958.
- "One For Fun" was originally released in 1960 as Atlantic 1329. Personnel: Billy Taylor (piano), Earl May (bass), Kenny Dennis (drums).
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1277 (1958)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1329 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Few people have brought jazz to as wide an audience as pianist and TV personality Billy Taylor. A versatile pianist, Taylor was equally at home with swing, bop and more advanced styles of playing. In the early '50s he was the house pianist at Birdland before forming the first of many trios. The two recordings showcased on this disc show Taylor to be at his fresh and swinging best.
- 1.You Make Me Feel So Young
- 3.Can You Tell By Looking At Me?
- 4.I Get A Kick Out Of You
- 5.Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams
- 6.Willow Weep For Me
- 7.Good Groove
- 8.What Is There To Say?
- 9.Thou Swell
- 10.Very Thought Of You
- 11.Somebody Loves Me
- 13.One For Fun
- 14.That's For Sure
- 15.A Little Southside Soul
- 16.Blue Moon
- 17.Makin' Whoopee
- 19.At Long Last Love
- 20.When Lights Are Low
2 LPs on 1 CD: THE BILLY TAYLOR TOUCH (1958)/ONE FOR FUN (1960).
Includes liner notes by Billy Taylor.
THE BILLY TAYLOR TOUCH:
Personnel: Billy Taylor (piano); Earl May (bass); Ed Thigpen (drums).
Recorded in 1958. Originally released on Atlantic (1277).
ONE FOR FUN:
Personnel: Billy Taylor (piano); Earl May (bass); Kenny Dennis (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1329).
Personnel: John Collins (guitar); Ed Thigpen, Kenny Dennis (drums).
Recording information: 1951-1960.
Billy Taylor's touch at the piano is supple, stylish, and elegant. It was cultivated in the New York City bop scene of the 1940s, where Taylor played in combos led by Gerry Mulligan, Lee Konitz, Dizzy Gillespie, Oscar Pettiford, and others. Taylor's bebop heart and mind are happily at work throughout this 75-minute CD of upbeat, swinging music that brings together two LPs made up of three distinct sessions. Throughout, Taylor's sophisticated ease of execution, his rich musical imagination, and the strong support of his sidemen make this a classy and satisfying compilation. Seven of the tracks for The Billy Taylor Touch were recorded with Taylor's first regular trio in 1951. On these, Taylor, bassist Earl May, and drummer Ed Thigpen are joined by the fine guitarist John Collins, a rhythm specialist who gives the music much of its personality. Collins would make a similar contribution later in the '50s with the Nat "King" Cole trio. There are also four tracks from a 1958 session, again with Taylor joined by May and Thigpen. On One for Fun from 1960, May is back on bass, this time with Kenny Denis on drums. The set has a more contemporary feel than the earlier tracks and features three Taylor originals, including the cool, yet cooking, "A Little Southside Soul." Among the standout tracks, the Rogers and Hart classic "Blue Moon" is transformed by Taylor and company into a vehicle for some of the CD's best solo and group work. ~ Jim Todd
Herman FosterExplosive Piano of Herman Foster / Have You Heard? (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Mary Lou Williams / Meade Lux LewisMary Lou Williams & Orchestra And Meade Lux Lewis (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 2) (2-CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE