Daddy Bug / Virgo Vibes
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$11.99 (80% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- The album "Daddy Bug" was originally released in 1969 as Atlantic 1538. Produced by Herbie Mann. "Virgo Vibes" was originally released in 1967 as Atlantic 1488. Produced by Herbie Mann.
- Released: June 7, 2004
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1538 (1969)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1488 (1967)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Today Roy Ayers is viewed as one of the prophets of acid jazz, a label that hides the fact that he is one of the great jazz vibraphonists, bandleaders and session players of the genre. Ayers was given his first set of vibe mallets by the legendary Lionel Hampton. Ayers' own crisp, lyrical and rhythmic style is itself firmly rooted in hard bop. Performers on these Herbie Mann-produced albums include Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Freddy Waits, Joe Henderson, Jack Wilson and Ronnie Clark.
- 1.Daddy Bug
- 3.This Guy's In Love With You
- 4.I Love You Michelle
- 7.Look To The Sky
- 8.It Could Only Happen With You
- 9.The Ringer
- 11.In The Limelight
- 12.Virgo Vibes
- 13.Glow Flower
2 LPs on 1 CD: DADDY BUG (1969)/VIRGO VIBES (1967).
Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.
Personnel includes: Roy Ayers (vibraphone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Sonny Sharrock (guitar); Buster Williams, Ron Carter (bass); Mickey Rocca, Freddie Waits, Bruno Carr (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1538).
Personnel: Roy Ayers (vibraphone); Joe Henderson, Harold Land (tenor saxophone); Charles Toliver (trumpet); Ronnie Clark, Jack Wilson (piano); Reggie Workman, Buster Williams (bass); Bruno Carr, Donald Bailey (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1488).
Personnel: Roy Ayers (vibraphone); Sonny Sharrock (guitar); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock, Jack Wilson (piano); Donald Bailey , Frederick Waits, Bruno Carr (drums).
Liner Note Author: Leonard Feather.
Arranger: William S. Fischer.
Roy Ayers recorded these sessions in the midst of his four years working with Herbie Mann on some of the flutist's best work. Produced by Mann, the music shows the two sides to the vibist that have been evident throughout his career: one the probing jazz artist, the other a performer with more commercial tendencies. The Virgo Vibes session from 1967 -- with tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson and trumpeter Charles Tolliver -- opens with its best track, Tolliver's "The Ringer," a piece in the same vein as the advanced hard bop of the trumpeter's big band, Music Inc. Gerald Wilson's "In the Limelight," another highlight, features a strong, imaginative solo from Ayers. Harold Land supplants Henderson on two tracks, including Ayers' "Virgo Vibes," a good medium-tempo extended blues. For the more commercially inclined Daddy Bug from 1969, the leader is joined by pianist Herbie Hancock, bassists Buster Williams and Ron Carter, and other notables, including drummer Freddie Waits. Guitarist Sonny Sharrock is on one track, contributing an innocuous accompaniment part rather than his trademark shredding. William Fischer's arrangements include some effective string and woodwind section work. The tracks are relatively short, notably the title number, a good piece that, unfortunately, trails off too soon. With its supply of better tracks outnumbering the more mundane and an impressive roster of players, there is enough here to sustain listener interest. All of these players, though, have turned in more impressive work elsewhere, including Ayers on Mann's classic fusion release Memphis Underground. ~ Jim Todd
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Max RoachMax Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 294
- UPC: 090431627327
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- #1 Soul Hits of the 1980's #1 Soul Hits of The 1980's (CD) ~ $10.27 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE