Martians Come Back! / Way Up There
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$11.99 (80% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Shorty Rogers ~ Only The Best of Shorty Rogers (4-CD) ~ $43.00 (Save 22%)
- The album "Martians Come Back!" was originally released in 1956 as Atlantic 1232. "Way Up There" was originally released in 1957 as Atlantic 1270.
- Released: July 26, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1232 (1956)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1270 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Better known for his arranging, Shorty Rogers was also a trumpeter whose style practically defined cool jazz. Rogers rose to fame as a member of Woody Herman's First and Second Herds as well as Stan Kenton's Innovations Orchestra. In the '50s he founded his own group, the Giants. Personnel on these powerful albums include Jimmy Giuffre, Lou Levy, Shelly Manne, Harry Edison, Leroy Vinnegar and Conte Candoli.
- 1.Martians Come Back
- 2.Astral Alley
- 3.Lotus Bud
- 4.Dickie's Dream
- 6.Serenade In Sweets
- 8.Chant Of The Cosmos
- 9.Blues Way Up There
- 10.Blues Way Down There
- 13.Wail Of Two Cities
- 14.Baklava Bridge
- 15.March Of the Martians
2 LPs on 1 CD: MARTIANS COME BACK (1956)/WAY UP THERE (1957).
Includes liner notes by John S. Wilson and Jack Tracy.
MARTIANS COME BACK:
Personnel: Shorty Rogers (trumpet, flugelhorn); Bud Shank (alto saxophone); Jimmy Giuffre (tenor & baritone saxophones, clarinet); Harry Edison, Conte Candoli, Pete Candoli, Don Fagerquist (trumpet); Johnny Graas (French horn); Bob Enevoldsen (trombone); Paul Sarmento (tuba); Lou Levy, Earl Gray, Pete Cera (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Ralph Pena, Leroy Vinnegar (bass); Shelly Manne (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1232).
WAY UP THERE:
Personnel: Shorty Rogers (trumpet, flugelhorn); Bud Shank (alto saxophone); Jimmy Giuffre (tenor & baritone saxophones, clarinet); Harry Edison, Pete Candoli, Conte Candoli, Don Fagerquist (trumpet); Johnny Graas (French horn); Bob Enevoldsen (valve trombone); Paul Sarmento (tuba); Pete Cera, Pete Jolly, Earl Gray, Lou Levy (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Leroy Vinnegar, Curtis Counce, Ralph Pena (bass); Shelly Manne (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1270).
Personnel: Shorty Rogers (trumpet, flugelhorn); Barney Kessel (guitar); Jimmy Giuffre (clarinet, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Bud Shank (alto saxophone); Conte Candoli, Don Fagerquist, Harry "Sweets" Edison , Pete Candoli (trumpet); John Graas (French horn); Bob Enevoldsen (trombone, valve trombone); Paul Sarmento (tuba); Pete Cera, Earl Grey, Earl Gray, Lou Levy, Pete Jolly (piano); Shelly Manne (drums).
Liner Note Authors: John S. Wilson ; Jack Tracy.
Shorty Rogers was one of the brightest lights of the West Coast cool jazz scene in the 1950s and '60s, and these two albums--MARTIANS, COME BACK! and WAY UP THERE, from '56 and '57, respectively--are both excellent representations of his impressive talent. In addition to his skills as a trumpeter (which are considerable), Rogers was also a noteworthy arranger, and the charts for these sessions bear his unique mixture of old-school swing sensibility (Rogers came up playing with Woody Herman's orchestra) and the subtle, Miles Davis-influenced sound of small-group cool.
Rogers's charts are curious and inventive (he writes arrangements for such instruments as French horn, tuba, trombone, and reeds, for instance), and the cast of talent he assembles is equally admirable. Drummer Shelly Manne, clarinetist Jimmy Giuffre, and guitarist Barney Kessel are only some of the luminaries on hand here. With its combination of laid-back '50s sophistication and bounce from the golden age of swing, it's hard to go wrong with this twofer.
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Jimmy GiuffreJimmy Giuffre 3 / The Music Man (Original Jazz Album) (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Max RoachMax Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
West Coast Trumpet Ace, Bandleader, Composer, Volume 1:... (CD)
$24.26 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Exceptional cd for all jazz lovers. Music Lover: a jazz fan from US -- May, 24, 2005
Two of Shorty Rogers' best large band LPs in great fidelity. I can't recommend this cd too highly.
- Sales Rank: 411
- UPC: 090431626825
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow: Songs from the Heart of the Church (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE