Philly Joe Jones
Philly Joe's Beat / Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together!
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$9.33 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.64 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- The album "Philly Joe's Beat" was originally released in 1960 as Atlantic 1340. "Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together!" was originally released in 1964 as Atlantic 1428.
- Released: July 5, 2004
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1340 (1960)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1428 (1964)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Philly Joe Jones came to fame as a key member with the first classic Miles Davis Quintet. The house drummer at Cafe Society, Jones played with the who's who of bop in the late '40s. He recorded extensively during the '50s and started leading his own groups later in the decade and even led a jazz fusion group in the '70s and '80s. You'll also hear him paired with Elvin Jones, best known for his association with the classic Coltrane Quartet of the early '60s. Both releases feature Paul chambers, and "Together" also includes work by Hank Mobley, Curtis Fuller and Wynton Kelly.
- 1.Salt Peanuts
- 2.Muse Rapture
- 3.Dear Old Stockholm
- 4.Two Bass Hit
- 6.Got To Take Another Chance
- 7.That's Earl Brother
- 8.Leo Roi
- 10.Brown Sugar
2 LP's on 1 CD: PHILLY JOE'S BEAT (1960)/PHILLY JOE JONES & ELVIN JONES TOGETHER! (1964).
Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Ira Gitler.
PHILLY JOE'S BEAT:
Personnel: Philly Joe Jones (drums); Bill Barron (tenor saxophone); Michael Downs (cornet); Walter Davis (piano); Paul Chambers (bass).
Originally released on Atlantic (1340).
PHILLY JOE JONES & ELVIN JONES TOGETHER!:
Personnel: Philly Joe Jones, Elvin Jones (drums); Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Curtis Fuller (trombone); Wynton Kelly (piano); Paul Chambers (bass).
Originally released on Atlantic (1428).
Personnel: Philly Joe Jones (drums); Hank Mobley, Bill Barron (tenor saxophone); Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Curtis Fuller (trombone); Walter Davis, Jr., Wynton Kelly (piano); Elvin Jones (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Ira Gitler; Nat Hentoff.
Philly Joe Jones is featured in a Collectables compilation of two separate dates originally recorded for Atlantic. The first session, Philly Joe's Beat, is an exciting hard bop date with tenor saxophonist Bill Barron, pianist Walter Davis, Jr., cornetist Michael Downs, and bassist Paul Chambers. In addition to rousing renditions of favorites such as "Salt Peanuts," "Two Bass Hit," and "Dear Old Stockholm," a less familiar work by bassist Jimmy Garrison ("Lori," which highlights Jones' skills with brushes) and an original by the leader (the snappy "Got to Take Another Chance") are equally rewarding. This very enjoyable date is full of potent solos by each musician. One puzzling error is that the time shown on this reissue for each of the seven selections is incorrect. The sloppy packaging by Collectables also gives the impression that one is being denied several tracks from the meeting of Jones with fellow drummer Elvin Jones (no relation), originally released as Philly Joe Jones & Elvin Jones Together! From the back tray card it looks as if the three tracks feature only a bit over 14 minutes of music from the LP, whereas the timings are actually longer than shown for all three pieces (with an actual total of almost 33 minutes); the timing of "Brown Sugar," the last song, is off by almost ten minutes. The two percussionists complement one another very well, with a great band including Hank Mobley, Blue Mitchell, Curtis Fuller, Wynton Kelly, and Paul Chambers. Of course, both drummers are the primary soloists, though there are worthwhile contributions by the sidemen as well. ~ Ken Dryden
Riverside: The Riverside Records Story (4-CD Box Set)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 51,796
- UPC: 090431626429
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $9.33 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $7.17 LABOR DAY
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY