|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- Based On The Play By Maxwell Anderson
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Burgess Meredith, John Carradine & Margo|
|Performer:||Eduardo Ciannelli, Mischa Auer, Myron McCormick, Paul Guilfoyle & Edward Ellis|
|Directed by||Alfred Santell|
|Edited by||William Hamilton|
|Screenwriting by||Anthony Veiller|
|Composition by||Roy Webb|
|Produced by||Pandro S. Berman|
|Director of Photography:||J. Peverell Marley|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Adapted from the Broadway play by Maxwell Anderson ("Key Largo," "The Bad Seed"), and nominated for two Academy Awards, Winterset is a moody journey into the dark arms of malice, murder and retribution. A rain-drenched testament to the tortured human condition.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Anderson received the NY Drama Critics Circle award for Winterset. As a movie it struggles to overcome staginess and some deep implausibility, but it is well filmed, even if it is hard to swallow The Penguin as a romantic lead. Inspired by the Sacco and Vinzetti case. Music by Nathaniel Shilkret. Nominated for best art direction and musical scoring Oscars. Good print.
Because of the poetic treatment of this contemporary urban tale, this film isn't going to appeal to everybody. But if you bring your imagaination, and let the film work its magic, you will be moved.
The original leading actors from the Broadway production are here -- Burgess Meredith (his movie debut), Margo, and Eduardo Cianelli, and all turn in sterling performances.
Print quality is very good -- a little worn, but still very watchable. You won't be disappointed.
I still have no idea what the title is supposed to mean, but the movie is fun if one doesn't mind melodrama. Obviously inspired by the Sacco & Vanzetti case, the story makes John Carradine a Christlike Italian immigrant unjustly convicted of murder due to "radical" beliefs not far from FDR's New Deal. Years later, his son, played by young Burgess Meredith, tries to clear his name, while the real killer (played by Eduardo Cianelli), just out of stir, tries to kill him and anyone else connected with the crime. The movie reflects its stage origins in using a small number of sets, setting up a nice claustrophobia when it looks like Meredith can't leave the crowded hovel of a vital witness without getting shot.
- Sales Rank: 13,288
- UPC: 089218625892
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Dramas Movie Categories:
- Elvis Presley Deluxe Box Set (10-DVD) ~ $49.48
- Wu-Tang Clan Rock the Bells (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
$10.41 Super Savings
The 12 Dogs of Christmas (DVD)
$10.73 Super Savings
20 Fingers (DVD)
$23.46 Super Savings
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE