|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Based On The Play By Maxwell Anderson
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 17 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Burgess Meredith, John Carradine & Margo|
|Performer:||Eduardo Ciannelli, Mischa Auer, Myron McCormick, Paul Guilfoyle & Edward Ellis|
|Directed by||Alfred Santell|
|Edited by||William Hamilton|
|Screenwriting by||Anthony Veiller|
|Composition by||Roy Webb|
|Produced by||Pandro S. Berman|
|Director of Photography:||J. Peverell Marley|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Adapted from the Broadway play by Maxwell Anderson ("Key Largo," "The Bad Seed"), and nominated for two Academy Awards, Winterset is a moody journey into the dark arms of malice, murder and retribution. A rain-drenched testament to the tortured human condition.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Anderson received the NY Drama Critics Circle award for Winterset. As a movie it struggles to overcome staginess and some deep implausibility, but it is well filmed, even if it is hard to swallow The Penguin as a romantic lead. Inspired by the Sacco and Vinzetti case. Music by Nathaniel Shilkret. Nominated for best art direction and musical scoring Oscars. Good print.
Because of the poetic treatment of this contemporary urban tale, this film isn't going to appeal to everybody. But if you bring your imagaination, and let the film work its magic, you will be moved.
The original leading actors from the Broadway production are here -- Burgess Meredith (his movie debut), Margo, and Eduardo Cianelli, and all turn in sterling performances.
Print quality is very good -- a little worn, but still very watchable. You won't be disappointed.
I still have no idea what the title is supposed to mean, but the movie is fun if one doesn't mind melodrama. Obviously inspired by the Sacco & Vanzetti case, the story makes John Carradine a Christlike Italian immigrant unjustly convicted of murder due to "radical" beliefs not far from FDR's New Deal. Years later, his son, played by young Burgess Meredith, tries to clear his name, while the real killer (played by Eduardo Cianelli), just out of stir, tries to kill him and anyone else connected with the crime. The movie reflects its stage origins in using a small number of sets, setting up a nice claustrophobia when it looks like Meredith can't leave the crowded hovel of a vital witness without getting shot.
- Sales Rank: 10,168
- UPC: 089218625892
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER WEEK
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $10.38 CYBER WEEK
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER WEEK
- 10cc Live in Concert (DVD) ~ $14.81 CYBER WEEK
- 2 Pac Tupac - Hip Hop Genius (DVD) ~ $6.15 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac / Notorious B.I.G. Tupac Vs. Biggie: The Legacy Continues (DVD) ~ $8.63 CYBER WEEK