Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums Unlimited
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$11.99 (80% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Max Roach ~ Deeds, Not Words ~ $10.56
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $44.74
- by Duke Ellington ~ Money Jungle [Expanded] ~ $10.60
- by Max Roach ~ Percussion Bitter Sweet ~ $13.48
- by Dave Holland ~ Prism ~ $13.81
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1435 (1965)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1467 (1966)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Max Roach revolutionized the use of the drums, shifting the emphasis to the ride cymbal, thereby giving drummers the freedom to explore the possibilities of their instruments. Roach was always exploring new musical areas and was willing to explore new compositional structures, unusual time signatures, atonality, music for Broadway, television, films, symphony halls, and even rap well ahead of its day. "Drums" also features Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.
- 1.3/4 Vs. 6/8 4/4 Ways
- 2.Off My Back Jack
- 3.Almost Like Me
- 4.Dinka Street
- 5.Pay Not, Play Not
- 6.To Inscribe
- 7.The Drum Also Waltzes
- 9.Drums Unlimited
- 10.St. Louis Blues
- 11.For Big Sid
- 12.In The Red (A Christmas Carol)
2 LPs on 1 CD: FEATURING THE LEGENDARY HASAAN (1965)/DRUMS UNLIMITED (1966).
Includes liner notes by Alan Sukoenig and Nat Hentoff.
FEATURING THE LEGENDARY HASAAN:
Max Roach Trio: Max Roach (drums); Hasaan (piano); Art Davis (bass).
Originally released on Atlantic (1435).
Personnel: Max Roach (drums); Roland Alexander (soprano saxophone); James Spaulding (alto saxophone); Freddie Hubbard (trumpet); Ronnie Matthews (piano); Jymie Merritt (bass).
Originally released on Atlantic (1467).
Liner Note Author: Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: 12/04/1964-04/25/1966.
This is a reissue of two classic Max Roach sessions recorded for Atlantic in the mid-'60s. Featuring the Legendary Hasaan (Hasaan Ibn Ali) is from 1965, and is the only recording ever made by this sadly neglected pianist. Drums Unlimited followed in 1966 with a stellar lineup of James Spaulding on alto sax, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Ronnie Mathews on piano, and Jymie Merritt on bass. Both are essential recordings under the leadership of this influential drummer, reissued together at a budget price from the Collectables label. ~ Al Campbell
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Members, Don't Git Weary / Lift Every Voice And Sing (CD)(2)
$9.73 on SALE
All-Star Jazz Show: Live From the Ed Sullivan Theater (DVD)
$11.10 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 162
- UPC: 090431625620
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts Gotham Recording Sessions (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Andromeda Project Rhythm Is Gonna Get You (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Aramis Camilo Ponteme a la Talalala (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Aramis Camilo Realidad (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Louis Armstrong Connection, Volume 10: The Orchestra [Import] (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- #1 Soul Hits of the 1980's #1 Soul Hits of The 1980's (CD) ~ $10.27 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE