Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums Unlimited
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Max Roach ~ Deeds, Not Words ~ $10.56
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Duke Ellington ~ Money Jungle [Expanded] ~ $11.68
- by Max Roach ~ Percussion Bitter Sweet ~ $13.48
- by Dave Holland ~ Prism ~ $13.81
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1435 (1965)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1467 (1966)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Max Roach revolutionized the use of the drums, shifting the emphasis to the ride cymbal, thereby giving drummers the freedom to explore the possibilities of their instruments. Roach was always exploring new musical areas and was willing to explore new compositional structures, unusual time signatures, atonality, music for Broadway, television, films, symphony halls, and even rap well ahead of its day. "Drums" also features Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.
- 1.3/4 Vs. 6/8 4/4 Ways
- 2.Off My Back Jack
- 3.Almost Like Me
- 4.Dinka Street
- 5.Pay Not, Play Not
- 6.To Inscribe
- 7.The Drum Also Waltzes
- 9.Drums Unlimited
- 10.St. Louis Blues
- 11.For Big Sid
- 12.In The Red (A Christmas Carol)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: FEATURING THE LEGENDARY HASAAN (1965)/DRUMS UNLIMITED (1966).
Includes liner notes by Alan Sukoenig and Nat Hentoff.
FEATURING THE LEGENDARY HASAAN:
Max Roach Trio: Max Roach (drums); Hasaan (piano); Art Davis (bass).
Originally released on Atlantic (1435).
Personnel: Max Roach (drums); Roland Alexander (soprano saxophone); James Spaulding (alto saxophone); Freddie Hubbard (trumpet); Ronnie Matthews (piano); Jymie Merritt (bass).
Originally released on Atlantic (1467).
Liner Note Author: Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: 12/04/1964-04/25/1966.
This is a reissue of two classic Max Roach sessions recorded for Atlantic in the mid-'60s. Featuring the Legendary Hasaan (Hasaan Ibn Ali) is from 1965, and is the only recording ever made by this sadly neglected pianist. Drums Unlimited followed in 1966 with a stellar lineup of James Spaulding on alto sax, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Ronnie Mathews on piano, and Jymie Merritt on bass. Both are essential recordings under the leadership of this influential drummer, reissued together at a budget price from the Collectables label. ~ Al Campbell
Charles Lloyd / Warne MarshFlowering of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet / Warne... (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
All-Star Jazz Show: Live From the Ed Sullivan Theater (DVD)
$11.10 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 50,906
- UPC: 090431625620
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Jazz General Music Categories:
- 3 Cohens Braid (CD) ~ $15.28
The 6 & 7 / 8s String Band Echoes of Tom Anderson's: The New Orleans String Jazz (2-CD) ~
$26.26 Super Savings
Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Impressions (CD) ~
$15.39 Super Savings
- Aaron Diehl The Bespoke Man's Narrative (CD) ~ $16.18
- Aaron Diehl Space Time Continuum (CD) ~ $16.18