- Art Direction Lyle Wheeler
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 26, 2004
- Originally Released: 1950
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
In 1948, the Soviet Union blockades the Allied sectors of Berlin in order to bring the city completely under their dominance. Sgt. Hank Kowalski and Sgt. Danny McCullough are part of the American force sent to help the war-torn German civilians. Still struggling with misguided loathing of Germans, their experience and relationships with the men and women of Berlin help them overcome these prejudices. The Big Lift was filmed on location in bombed-out Berlin and is an accurate depiction of this historic event.
Clift is an American flyboy who falls in love with a beautiful Fraulein in Berlin during the post-war airlift. Meanwhile, Sgt. Kowalski finds his hatred of the Germans changed by his experiences helping Berlin to survive.
An Air Force engineer is assigned to Berlin's Tempelhof Airbase during the airlifts bringing food and supplies to the citizens after World War II.
Cold War |
Love Story |
- Picture was made in occupied Germany. All scenes were photographed in the exact locale associated with the story, including episodes in the American, French, British and Russian sectors of Berlin.
- With the exception of Montgomery Clift and Paul Douglas, all military personnel in the film were actual members of the U.S. Armed Forces on duty in Germany.
- Then Associate Press (AP) correspondent Richard O'Malley and ABC correspondent Lyford Moore play themselves in the film.