Willie Bryant & His Orchestra Blues Around the Clock
- Released: February 6, 1996
- Label: Delmark
- 1.Amateur Night in Harlem
- 2.Blues Around the Country (Part 1)
- 3.Blues Around the Country (Part 2)
- 4.Naggin' Wife Blues - (with Doc Pomus)
- 5.Blues Without Booze - (with Doc Pomus)
- 6.Sneaky Pete
- 7.Because Your Baby Is on Your Mind
- 8.Honey in a Hurry - (with Laurel Watson)
- 9.Blues Around the Clock (Part 1)
- 10.Blues Around the Clock (Part 2)
- 11.Alley Alley Blues - (with Doc Pomus)
- 12.Blues in the Red - (with Doc Pomus)
- 13.Reboppin' For Red - (with Ben Smith)
- 14.I Found Out - (with Bob Range)
- 15.Tell Me - (with Bob Range)
- 16.Algiers Blues
- 17.Phungie Phungie an' Stchew
- 18.Kangaroo Blues - (with Laurel Watson)
- 19.I Can't Sleep - (with Bob Range)
- 20.You'll Never Miss the Water 'Til the Well Runs Dry - (with Bob Range)
- 21.It's Over Because We're Through
This is part of Delmark's Apollo series.
Personnel: William Bryant (keyboards); Willie Bryant (vocals); Taft Jordan (vocals, trumpet); Robert Range, Steve Pulliam (vocals, trombone); Doc Pomus, Laurel Watson, Ben Smith (vocals); Chuck Wayne, Leroy Harris , Ralph Williams , Leroy Kirkland (guitar); Mike Hedley, Jimmy Powell , Tab Smith, Bobby Smith (alto saxophone); John Hicks (tenor saxophone); Haywood Henry (baritone saxophone); Henry Glover, Archie Johnson, Frank Galbreath, Sammy Lowe (trumpet); Dan Minor (trombone); Duke Anderson, Leonard Feather, Bill Doggett (piano); Joe Murphy, Panama Francis, Walter Johnson (drums).
Liner Note Author: Frank Driggs.
Recording information: 10/15/1945-??/??/1949.
Willie Bryant, an important bandleader for a time in the 1930s, was a familiar and likable fixture at the Apollo Ballroom in the 1940s and '50s, acting as an M.C. and taking an occasional vocal. This Delmark CD draws its songs from the Apollo label and emphasizes early R&B. Ten songs feature Bryant (including two-part versions of "Blues Around the Country" and "Blues Around the Clock") and on some of the tracks the backup group features altoist Tab Smith and trumpeter Taft Jordan. Doc Pomus and the obscure Bob Range have four vocals apiece, Laurel Watson is heard on two songs and Ben Smith sings "Reboppin' for Red." This CD is consistently satisfying and easily recommended to fans of the era. ~ Scott Yanow
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!