As You Like It
"All the world's a stage, / And all the men and women merely players." (Act II, Scene VII)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: May 25, 2004
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Alpha Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Elisabeth Bergner & Sophie Stewart|
|Directed by||Paul Czinner|
|Screenplay by||R.J. Culle|
|Story by||William Shakespeare|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Love at first sight sets a long, comedic path for a pair of young nobles in this William Shakespeare classic. Rosalind, niece of a cruel, power-hungry duke, instantly falls for the brave and handsome Orlando de Boys. Orlando is struck by her beauty, but through the misdeeds of his brother Oliver, is forced to live in Arden Forest as a fugitive. Rosalind disguises herself as a man and follows Orlando in an effort to discover the depths of his love. Her playful courtship proves they are meant for each other, but the pair will have to find a way to overcome their exile before they can be wed.
Shakespeare's beloved tale of romantic games and love's triumph is brought to life through a charming adaptation by J.M. Barrie (author of Peter Pan). As You Like It was Sir Laurence Olivier's first onscreen appearance in a Shakespearean work.
This frothy adaptation of Shakespeare's 1600 comedy marks Olivier's first screen appearance in a Shakespearean role.
A screen adaptation of William Shakespeare's comedy of manners about a Duke and a band of his loyal followers, who steal away to the Forest Arden after being ousted by the Duke's usurping brother. There, they are joined by young Orlando and the Duke's daughter, Rosalind. She loves the young Orlando, but since she is hiding out in the guise of a man, she decides to play a trick on Orlando by introducing herself as Ganymede and asking him to prove his love for her.
- Additional Credits: Fisher White (Adam), George Moore Marriott (Dennis), Lionel Braham (Charles), Austin Trevor (Le Beau), Cyrril Horrocks (First Lord), Ellis Irving (Second Lord), Lawrence Hanary (Third Lord), Joan White (Phebe)
- Different sources credit both Stuart Robertson and Gavin Gordon with playing the role of Amiens.
- Leon Quartermaine is credited as Dialogue Supervisor, in addition to his role as Jaques.
- The picture opened in London on September 3, 1936 with Elisabeth Bergner getting the star billing. In 1949, United Artistes re-released the picture. This time Laurence Olivier got the star billing.
- Laurence Olivier studied wrestling while preparing for the role of Orlando.
- During production Olivier was playing Mercutio in John Gielgud's production of Romeo and Juliet and spent 14 weeks going from the sound stage in the afternoon to performing on stage at night.
- The text of the play has been edited to fit into a 96 minute format. Touchstone's and Jaques' parts were reduced to small feature roles. The "All the world's a stage..." monologue, however, was retained in full.
- There are discrepancies with regard to the screenwriting credits for the picture. Robert J. Cullen is credited with "Scenario" in two Variety reviews: on September 16, 1936 and November 11, 1936. The November 16th review, however, credits Carl Mayer with "Adaptation" while New York Times credits Cullen with "Adaptation." Also, Variety says the "treatment is sugested by" J. M. Barrie in the September review and "Adaptation Suggested by" in the subsequent November review. The New York Times omits Barrie and Mayer altogether.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 9,211
- UPC: 089218625090
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
My Favorite Blonde / The Star Spangled Rhythm (DVD)(24)
$10.83 Super Savings
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) (DVD-R) ~ $10.50 on SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE