- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 6, 2000
- Originally Released: 1983
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.78
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Producer, Writer, Special Effects Artist
- Making Of: Special Effects and Make-Up Featurette
- Interactive Features:
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Stills/Photos: Production Stills
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/15/1984
"...If it were any less farfetched it would be less fun..."
Variety - 05/16/1984
"...Intriguing....Quaid and Capshaw are well cast and a good-looking screen couple..."
In this sci-fi thriller, Alex Garner (Dennis Quaid), a young, extremely gifted psychic, is taught by a doctor (Max von Sydow) to actually enter other peoples' dreams, and even participate in them. Another psychic is being groomed to enter the troubled dreams of the President of the United States, with intentions not quite so benevolent. Christopher Plummer and Kate Capshaw also star.
Description by Image Entertainment:
The President of the United States is about to be assassinated in a dream where there is no morning after. Only one man can save him--a man who must plunge himself into the President's horrendous nightmare. Dennis Quaid stars as Alex Gardner, a psychically gifted young man recruited to help Dr. Paul Novotny (Max Von Sydow) and the beautiful Dr. Jane DeVries (Kate Capshaw) in an experiment to help patients disturbed by menacing nocturnal illusions. But corrupt high-ranking government official Bob Blair (Christopher Plummer) has darker plans for Alex's unusual powers. Soon Alex is propelled inside the President's nightmare, a frightening wasteland of nuclear holocaust, and locked in a fantastic battle that could only happen in a dream. This action-packed science fiction adventure will excite and thrill you with its unusual journey through the mind's most terrifying recesses.
A university dream research clinic is exploring "dreamlinking", a method by which conscious people can insert themselves into others' dreams. The research director recruits washed-up psychic Alex Garland for his experiments, and Alex proves a natural for dream manipulation. But even though the doctor overseeing the research has only the best intentions, someone else believes that dreamlinking can be the ultimate weapon... and he's determined to recruit Alex for his own evil ends.
Nuclear Destruction |
Psychic Forces |
Psychic Powers |
Theatrical Release |
- Film was originally rated R by the MPAA, but was re-edited to earn a PG-13.
- Along with INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM, this film was responsible for the institution of the PG-13 rating.