Leroy Anderson Blue Tango and Other Favorites
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Leroy Anderson ~ Greatest Hits ~ $7.19
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Label: Asv Living Era
- 1.Sleigh Ride, for orchestra (or string orchestra)
- 2.Promenade, for orchestra
- 3.The Waltzing Cat, for orchestra
- 4.The Syncopated Clock, for orchestra
- 5.Saraband, for orchestra
- 6.Serenata, for orchestra
- 7.Work(s): Jazz Pizzicato ... Jazz Legato
- 8.Trumpeter's Lullaby, for orchestra
- 9.Plink, Plank, Plunk!, for string orchestra
- 10.Horse & Buggy, for orchestra
- 11.Belle of the Ball, for orchestra
- 12.Blue Tango, for orchestra
- 13.China Doll, for orchestra
- 14.The Penny Whistle Song, for orchestra
- 15.Fiddle-Faddle, for string orchestra (or standard orchestra)
- 16.The Phantom Regiment, for orchestra
- 17.Irish Suite (6), for orchestra: The Irish Washerwoman
- 18.Irish Suite (6), for orchestra: The Minstrel Boy
- 19.Irish Suite (6), for orchestra: The Rakes Of Mallow
- 20.Irish Suite (6), for orchestra: The Wearing Of The Green
- 21.Irish Suite (6), for orchestra: The Last Rose Of Summer
- 22.Irish Suite (6), for orchestra: The Girl I Left Behind Me
- 23.Christmas Festival, for orchestra, A (original version)
Recorded between 1950 & 1952.
Audio Remasterer: Martin Haskell.
Liner Note Author: Uncle Dave Lewis.
Recording information: 09/11/1950-10/27/1952.
In order to begin to appreciate Leroy Anderson you need to reflect upon the fact that his big break came in 1938 when Arthur Fiedler commissioned him to write a piece for the Boston Pops Orchestra. "Jazz Pizzicato" and its sequel "Jazz Legato" attracted lots of attention and were eventually followed by "The Syncopated Clock" and "Promenade" (1945); "Serenata" and "Fiddle-Faddle" (1947); "Saraband" (1948), and "A Trumpeter's Lullaby" (1949). With the possible exception of "The Syncopated Clock," nothing Anderson wrote came anywhere near achieving the popularity of the famous "Sleigh Ride," apparently composed while doing housework on a sweltering hot day in July 1948. Between 1950 and 1958, Anderson worked for the Decca record company making albums that rivaled Fiedler's in popularity. The piece that gives this compilation its title, "Blue Tango" is a masterpiece of beauty, charm and accessibility. In addition to a healthy sense of humor, Leroy Anderson had a knack for devising pleasant, harmless, catchy melodies that have since endeared him to generations of pops concert attendees. This is wholesome hunky dory apple pie music, cheerful and middle brow; Leroy Anderson wrote veritable anthems for the Good Life, and thanks to the Living Era reissue label some of his niftiest performances are on tap once again for those in need of a refreshing if utterly unfounded sense of well-being. ~ arwulf arwulf
Ultimate Christmas Album Gift Set, Volume 2 (2-CD)
$10.62 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 4 (CD)
$11.03 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE