Journey Within / Charles Lloyd In Europe
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$10.99 (73% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- "Journey Within" was originally released in 1967 as Atlantic 1493, and features Charles Lloyd (tenor sax or flute), Keith Jarrett (piano & soprano sax) (on "Lonesome Child"), Ron McClure (bass), Jack DeJohnette (drums). Produced by George Avakian
- "Charles Lloyd In Europe" was originally released in 1968 as Atlantic 1500, and features Charles Lloyd (tenor sax or flute), Keith Jarrett (piano), Cecil McBee (bass), Jack DeJohnette (drums). All songs composed by Charles Lloyd, except "Love No. 3" composed by Keith Jarrett
- Released: July 19, 1999
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1493 (1967)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1500 (1968)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Two more selections from the famous Lloyd/Jarrett/McBee/DeJohnette quartet. This band was the hit of the 1966 Monterey Jazz Festival, toured Europe six times, and recorded steadily.
- 1.Journey Within
- 2.Love No. 3
- 3.Memphis Green
- 4.Lonesome Child - A) Song B) Dance
- 7.Little Anahid's Day
- 8.Manhattan Carousel
- 9.European Fantasy
- 10.Hej Da! (Hey Daw)
2 LPs on 1 CD: JOURNEY WITHIN (1967)/IN EUROPE (1968).
Includes liner notes by George Avakian.
Charles Lloyd Quartet: Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone, flute); Keith Jarrett (soprano saxophone, piano); Ron McClure (bass); Jack DeJohnette (drums).
Producer: George Avakian.
Originally released on Atlantic (1493).
Charles Lloyd Quartet: Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone, flute); Keith Jarrett (piano); Cecil McBee (bass); Jack DeJohnette (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1500).
Personnel: Charles Lloyd (flute, tenor saxophone); Keith Jarrett (soprano saxophone, piano); Jack DeJohnette (drums).
Liner Note Author: George Avakian.
Recording information: 1967-1968.
This 1999 reissue lets Charles Lloyd's music of the late '60s transcend its erstwhile, hippie era, Coltrane-lite cachet and come into its own as the expression of an expansive musical vision by a quartet of formidable players. Straddling the threshold to the avant-garde, the music doesn't so much defy categorization as dispense with the need for it. Folk themes, Eastern influences, blues, modal hard bop, and impressionistic passages meld seamlessly into a unique, cohesive musical conception. The sprawling 75-minute CD compiles two concert releases: a 1967 date at New York's Fillmore East and a 1968 concert in Oslo, Norway. Soundwise, the recording is average. It captures Lloyd, on flute and tenor sax, and pianist Keith Jarrett reasonably well and just slightly less so the bassists: Ron McClure in New York, Cecil McBee in Oslo. Drummer Jack DeJohnette, however, gets spotty treatment. At times his subtle hybrid of jazz-rock and free, pulsing styles registers well, at others it becomes a muddy clatter. Still, the CD succeeds in immersing the listener in the concerts. While the members of Lloyd's quartet are and remain enormous individual talents, this is an important but secondary consideration for Lloyd. Both concerts are pure collective efforts. The players solo, but the spotlight stays on the complete group. That said, Jarrett's fans will appreciate the selections that feature the pianist working with just bassist and drummer, performing inside/outside music in the spirit of his early trio with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian. ~ Jim Todd
Charles Lloyd / Warne MarshFlowering of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet / Warne...
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 1,252
- UPC: 090431623626
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE