The Time of Your Life
A group of colorful neighborhood characters hold court at the corner saloon.
|CYBER SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Based on the play "The Time of Your Life" by William Saroyan
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 18, 2003
- Originally Released: 1948
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Cagney & William Bendix|
|Performer:||Broderick Crawford, Ward Bond, Wayne Morris, James Barton, Paul Draper, Gale Page, Jeanne Cagney & Jimmy Lydon|
|Directed by||H.C. Potter|
|Edited by||Walter Hannemann & Truman Wood|
|Written by||Nathaniel Curtis|
|Composition by||Carmen Dragon|
|Art Direction by||Wiard Ihnen|
|Story by||William Saroyan|
|Produced by||William Cagney|
|Director of Photography:||James Wong Howe|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Nick's Saloon sits on San Francisco's waterfront - a haven for misfits and outsiders. Bar-room philosopher Joe (James Cagney) presides over the tavern, passing out advice and encouragement to friends and strangers alike. Through the swinging doors of the bar pass eccentrics, ex-convicts, delusionals, musical geniuses and heartbroken lovers. When a crooked detective invades the saloon, reality threatens to destroy their asylum, but Joe rallies the bar's oddballs in a vicious confrontation with the scoundrel. William Saroyan turned down several offers to adapt his Pulitzer prize-winning play "The Time of Your Life" until approached by James and William Cagney. Saroyan's idiosyncratic humor was expertly translated by director H.C. Potter and intensified by Cagney's adept portrayal of the aimless visionary Joe.
H.C. Potter supplies heart-tugging direction in the film version of William Saroyan's Pulitzer Prize-winning ensemble piece about the various characters who populate Nick's Saloon, Restaurant and Entertainment Palace, which is actually a waterfront dive.The Saloon is in the toughest section of San Francisco. Enter Joe (James Cagney), a champagne-soaked "philosopher" with a credo that mixes equal parts cherish-the-moment and bottoms-up. Parading around Joe, who showers love on his fellow inhabitants, are a bull-slinging American Indian, a would-be dancer, a prostitute named Kitty (Jeanne Cagney) who dreams of white picket fences and a lawn, and Joe's handyman, Tom (Wayne Morris). These and other colorful people espouse their hopes and fears, right until the barkeeper announces Last Call. The comedy has been heightened in the film but Saroyan's devout love of common folk shines through. Much of the original dialogue from the play remains in the film.
- Theatrical Release : September 3, 1948
- William Saroyan refused to accept the Pulitzer, believing that businessmen shouldn't judge art.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 6,974
- UPC: 089218622792
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER SALE
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER SALE
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $10.38 CYBER SALE
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~ $2.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE