Tommy James Tommy James / Christian of The World
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Badfinger ~ Badfinger / Wish You Were Here / In Concert at the BBC, 1972-1973 (2-CD) ~ $16.04
- by Tommy James ~ Hold the Fire ~ $10.87
- Released: June 28, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
With the Shondells, singer Tommy James was one of the most successful and popular acts of the late 1960s. James embarked on a solo career in 1970; this two-for-one album contains two of his early '70s releases, which includes his biggest hit as a solo artist, "Draggin' The Line".
- 1.Bell And Chain
- 2.Meet The Corner
- 3.Midnight Train
- 4.Light Of Day
- 5.Come To Me
- 6.I Lost My Baby
- 7.Lady Jane
- 8.Quick Silver
- 9.Christian Of The World
- 10.Kings And Things
- 11.I'm Comin' Home
- 12.Sing, Sing, Sing
- 13.Draggin' The Line
- 14.Sail A Happy Ship
- 15.Light Of Day
- 16.Bits And Pieces
- 17.I Believe In People
- 18.Church St. Soul Revival
- 19.Another Hill To Climb
- 21.Silk, Satin, Carriage Waiting
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: TOMMY JAMES (1970)/CHRISTIAN OF THE WORLD (1971).
Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
After he broke with the Shondells, Tommy James took some time off out of the spotlight but he came roaring back with his first solo album, 1970's Tommy James. It features the hit song "Ball and Chain" and seven other songs that were not a great departure from the sound he had with the Shondells: up-tempo songs with big hooks, great vocals (lead and background), and a slightly psychedelic feeling. Tracks like the driving "Ball and Chain," the anthemic "Come to Me," and the pounding, bubblegum-tasting "I Lost My Baby" are as good as anything James had done recently. The only track where he stumbles is on the attempted hard rock boogie of "Quicksilver." Some people just aren't meant to rock that way -- and James is one of them. The most interesting tune on the record is "Meet the Comer," which sounds musically like the downer version of "Crystal Blue Persuasion," but is actually the beginning of James' shift to uplifting religious themes that would really blossom on his second solo record. Christian of the World is not a concept record as such, but there is a theme of spirituality running through the lyrics. The title track is a sun-kissed plea for salvation, "Sing Sing Sing" rejects material possessions in favor of the power of song, "Sail a Happy Ship" directs people to turn to religion for peace and friendship, and "Church Street Soul Revival" is a beautiful, open-hearted celebration of God. The music is an amazing blend of bubblegum and gospel with some soul and a bit of country thrown in for good measure. James is on a creative roll here: his vocals are deeply heartfelt and soulful, the songwriting is powerful, and the whole record is strong from beginning to end. It isn't too surprising that apart from the hit single "Dragging the Line," the record was completely ignored. James' bubblegum persona preceded him. No one was quite ready to consider him a serious musician capable of creating an album as fully realized and creative as Christian of the World. Luckily, 30-plus years later one can divorce him or herself from James' lightweight image and see the record for the lost classic that it is. This Collectables two-fer is an essential purchase. ~ Tim Sendra
Top of the Pop Hits - The 70s, Volume 01 - Disc 2 (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Top of The Pop Hits - The 70s, Volume 1 (6-CD Box Set /...
Out of PrintSave for Later
Tommy James and the Shondells - Live at the Bitter End (DVD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,910
- UPC: 090431621929
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Campfire Songs: The Popular, Obscure & Unknown Recordings... (CD)
$19.47 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE