The Big 3 Big 3, Featuring Mama Cass
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Mama Cass Elliot ~ Dream a Little Dream: The Cass Elliot Collection ~ $9.89
- by Mama Cass Elliot ~ Dream a Little Dream of Me: The Music of Mama Cass Elliot ~ $11.27
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Before she became a Mama, Cass Elliot was a member of the Folk-Pop trio The Big Three with folkies James Hendricks and Tim Rose. Together this harmonious trio tackled traditional Pop and Folk fare as well as their own compositions. Some of the vocal highlights are Mama Cass's crooning on "Wild Women", plus the more folk oriented "Young Girl's Lament" and "All The Pretty Horses".
- 1.Young Girl's Lament
- 2.The Banjo Song
- 3.Winken, Blinken And Nod
- 4.Grandfather's Clock
- 5.Come Away Melinda
- 6.Wild Women
- 7.Nora's Dove
- 8.Come Along
- 9.Tony And Delia
- 10.Ho Honey Oh
- 12.I May Be Right
- 13.Anna Fia (Feher)
- 16.Down In The Valley
- 17.All The Pretty Little Horses
- 18.Glory Glory
The Big Three: Time Rose, James Hendricks, "Mama" Cass Elliot.
Includes liner notes by Richard Barton Campbell.
This compilation duplicates all but three songs from Sequel Records' 1995 CD, although the Collectables version may be easier to find. The most remarkable aspect of these recordings is the realization that Cass Elliot seemed to have a knack for finding solid accompanists and collaborators long before she hooked up with John Phillips, Denny Doherty, et al. James Hendricks and Tim Rose were, if anything, more talented vocally and technically more proficient than Phillips might've been at the time that some of these recordings were made -- curiously, the Big Three also covered "I May Be Right," a song written by Phillips' fellow Journeymen member Dick Weissman. The tendency is to lump the Big Three in with Peter, Paul & Mary, but there were differences that probably matter more now to anyone grabbing this because of Cass Elliot's presence. The hard, bluesy "Young Girl's Lament" and "Wild Women" (which is probably Cass Elliot's greatest vocal showcase from this period in her career) stand in contrast to ethereal folk numbers like "All the Pretty Horses," "Silkie," "Winken, Blinken and Nod," and "Come Away Melinda," and show a group with more range than PPM usually explored. Hendricks and Rose also show an affinity for the blues on those songs and on "The Banjo Song," which, in tandem with Elliot's singing, ought to have carried the Big Three further than they got. In short, there's more than historical interest to be gleaned from these recordings, and much better music than one usually finds from the "pre-history" of a major group. ~ Bruce Eder
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,003
- UPC: 090431621622
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE