- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 22, 2003
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada),1
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"The travelling salesman had fed me pills that made the linings of my veins feel scraped out. My jaw ached. I knew every raindrop by its name. I sensed everything before it happened. I knew a certain Oldsmobile would stop for me even before it slowed, and by the sweet voices of the family inside it I knew we'd have an accident in the storm. I didn't care. They said they'd take me all the way."
- FH (Billy Crudup) in voice-over
"A sweetly ingratiating performance by Billy Crudup and a volatile one by Samantha Morton....[The director] evinces a talent for atmosphere and extracting strong values from individual scenes..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 07/??/2000
"...Suffused with irreverent, outrageous humor....Crudup's astonishing performance is energizing..."
Premiere - 06/??/2000
"...A lively, quirky, lyrically rambling meditation on life, death, and fate among the narcotically numbed-out....Unsparing in its depiction..."
Film Comment - 11/01/1999
"...[Crudup] is wonderful..."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/29/2000
"...[Crudup is] sublime....An epiphany as credible as it is brilliantly staged..." Rating: A-
Rolling Stone - 07/06/2000
"...Maclean keeps her mesmerizing film spinning from hilarity to heartbreak....[Crudup is] an actor of fire and grace..."
Based on Denis Johnson's 1992 short story collection, JESUS' SON is a darkly comic depiction of an individual whose descent into drug addiction threatens to ruin him. Billy Crudup is FH, a well-intentioned loser who falls under the spell of Michelle (Samantha Morton). Together, they shoot heroin, fight, make up, and repeat the cycle. After a horrible tragedy devastates FH, he finds himself in Arizona, working at an assisted living facility, searching for redemption in sobriety. Alison Maclean's film is an impressive and entertaining portrait of debauchery, successfully blending drug-induced visions with an unflinching realism.
Black Comedy |
Drug Addiction |
- Theatrical release: June 16, 2000 (NY/LA).
- Author Denis Johnson plays the knife wound patient in the "Emergency" segment.
- The film world-premiered at the 1999 Telluride Film Festival.
- Billy Crudup and Denis Leary both appear in Ted Demme's MONUMENT AVE.
- Singer-songwriter Joe Henry, Madonna's brother-in-law, composed music for the film.
- At the 1999 Venice Film Festival, the film was nominated for the prestigious Golden Lion award.
- Paul Tatara of cnn.com and A.O. Scott of the New York Times named JESUS' SON one of the 10 best films of 2000.