Ben E. King Spanish Harlem / Don't Play That Song!
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Brook Benton ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection $8.84
by Sam Cooke ~ Greatest Hits $8.82
by Sam Cooke ~ Portrait of a Legend, 1951-1964 $10.33
by Ben E. King ~ Stand by Me: The Platinum Collection $8.86
by Ben E. King / The Drifters ~ The Ultimate Collection: Stand by Me / Best of Ben E. King / Ben E. King with the Drifters ~ $13.25
- Released: August 3, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Ben E. King was a member of the Moonglows and Drifters before branching out on his own in the early '60s. This collection features many of his hit singles including his biggest hit - "Stand By Me" - a song which hit the top ten twice, first in 1961 and then again when prominently featured in the same titled movie in 1986.
- 3.Come Closer To Me
- 6.Sweet And Gentle
- 7.Quizas, Quizas, Quizas
- 9.Souvenir Of Mexico
- 10.Besame Mucho
- 11.Love Me, Love Me
- 12.Spanish Harlem
- 13.Don't Play That Song
- 15.On The Horizon
- 16.Show Me The Way
- 17.Here Comes The Night
- 18.First Taste Of Love
- 19.Stand By Me
- 21.Young Boy Blues
- 22.Hermit Of Misty Mountain
- 23.I Promise Love
- 24.Brace Yourself
2 LPs on 1 CD: SPANISH HARLEM (1961)/DON'T PLAY THAT SONG (1962).
Includes liner notes by Marv Goldberg.
Ben E. King may be best known by the average listener for his mega hit "Stand By Me." However, his influence on soul and R&B in the 1960's was quite significant. On these two albums--condensed onto one CD--we hear the range of King's abilities. For example, King sings fine renditions of many soul tunes on DON'T PLAY THAT SONG. His honeyed voice on the album's opening title track can induce goose bumps. He also really shines on the march-like "Here Comes the Night," and the light rock number "The Hermit of Misty Mountain."
On SPANISH HARLEM, we hear King in a Latin setting, crooning atop the Cuban percussion and sweeping strings. "Besame Mucho" may be the best known of these selections, but it is the Ruiz/Gimbel composition "Sway" that really stands out here. In general, both albums contain huge production numbers; full orchestras are employed on each record, including brass, harp, and woodwinds, as well as backing singers. This is typical of the Phil Spector "wall of sound" approach that cropped up often on the soul and R&B scene of the 1960's.
The DriftersClyde McPhatter & The Drifters / Rockin' & Driftin' (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Various Arists - A Tribute to Leiber & Stoller [Rare &... (DVD)(2)
$5.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,978
- UPC: 090431621028
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE