Folksy Nina / Nina Simone With Strings
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Nina Simone ~ After Hours ~ $10.56
- by Nina Simone ~ Amazing Nina Simone / Nina Simone At Town Hall ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Nina Simone ~ The Amazing Nina Simone (180Gv) ~ $19.25
- by Nina Simone ~ Sings Duke Ellington / At Carnegie Hall ~ $9.73 (Save 35%)
- by Nina Simone ~ Sings the Blues (180GV) ~ $22.50
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: COLPIX SCP-465 (1964)
- Original Album #2: COLPIX SCP-496 (1966)
Description by OLDIES.com:
No matter what genre Nina chooses, she invests every single piece of material with her own fiercely unique style. On "Folksy Nina," she runs the gamut from English folk tunes to Israeli songs and up-tempo blues. "Nina with Strings" is oddly titled as there isn't an abundance of strings present -- just Simone performing a variety of songs with her legendary style and intensity.
- 1.Silver City Bound
- 2.When I Was A Young Girl
- 3.Erets Zavat Chalav
- 4.Lass Of The Low Country
- 5.Young Knight
- 6.Twelfth Of Never
- 8.You Can Sing A Rainbow
- 9.Hush Little Baby
- 10.I Loves You Porgy
- 12.Falling In Love Again (Can't Help It)
- 13.Baubles, Bangles And Beads
- 14.Spring Is Here
- 15.That's All
- 16.Chain Gang (The Work Song)
- 17.Man With A Horn
- 18.Porgy, I Is Your Woman (Bess, You Is My Woman)
- 19.Gimme A Pigfoot (And A Bottle Of Beer)
2 LPs on 1 CD: FOLKSY NINA (1964)/WITH STRINGS (1966).
Includes liner notes by David Nathan.
Adapter: Nina Simone.
Liner Note Author: David Nathan.
A reissue of two recordings that Colpix released soon after Nina Simone left the label to record for Philips. The first nine tracks comprise FOLKSY NINA, and were recorded live with her quartet at Carnegie Hall in 1963. Songs from this acclaimed performance had already been released as NINA SIMONE AT CARNEGIE HALL, but when Simone left the label in 1963, Colpix found that they had enough material from that concert to put out another record.
These cuts feature treatments of folk songs, showcasing her eclectic taste in material; a highlight of this collection is her version of "When I Was A Young Girl," an emotional tour-de-force. The last 10 tracks comprise NINA WITH STRINGS, an album that Colpix had in the can and first released in 1966, after adding a string section to some of the songs. Highlights include bittersweet versions of the Dietrich classic "Falling In Love Again," and the Rogers and Hart standard "Spring Is Here," as well as "Blackbird," a gorgeous original with an African rhythm.
The DriftersClyde McPhatter & The Drifters / Rockin' & Driftin' (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,941
- UPC: 090431620823
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Collectables Jazz Classics Product Series:
- Count Basie Blues By Basie / One O'Clock Jump (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Bunny Berigan I Can't Get Started (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Art Blakey Hard Bop / Paris Concert (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Teresa Brewer Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Bob Brookmeyer Brookmeyer (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE