Forbidden Fruit / Nina Simone At Newport
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 3, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: COLPIX SCP-419 (1961)
- Original Album #2: COLPIX SCP-412 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Nina Simone's live performances were truly events. One of her most exhilarating is captured on "At Newport," one of the two albums included on this compact disc. An extraordinary singer of jazz, blues, gospel, R&B and pop, Nina Simone was also a classically trained pianist. On this collection you'll hear her shine on tunes such as "Rags and Old Iron," "No Good Man," and "Little Liza Jane."
- 1.Rags And Old Iron
- 2.No Good Man
- 3.Gin House Blues
- 4.I'll Look Around
- 5.I Love To Love
- 6.Work Song
- 7.Where Can I Go Without You?
- 8.Just Say I Love Him
- 9.Memphis In June
- 10.Forbidden Fruit
- 11.Trouble In Mind
- 13.Little Liza Jane
- 14.You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To
- 15.Flo Me La
- 16.Nina's Blues
- 17.In The Evening By The Moonlight
2 LPs on 1 CD: FORBIDDEN FRUIT (1961)/AT NEWPORT (1960).
Also available as part of the Collectables box THE LEGEND AT HER BEST.
Includes liner notes by David Nathan.
Personnel includes: Nina Simone (vocals).
Personnel: Nina Simone (vocals, piano); Al Shackman (guitar); Chris White (bass); Bobby Hamilton (drums).
Recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island on June 30, 1960.
Liner Note Author: David Nathan .
Recording information: 1998.
To call Nina Simone a jazz singer is to neglect the depth and range of her artistry. A classical pianist, folk singer, protest singer, and songwriter, her arrangements are harmonically rich, varied, and rhythmically experimental, while her voice can go from lounge singer-smooth to raw and exposed in the space of a verse. This CD is a combination of two extraordinary early albums she recorded for Colpix; the first 10 tracks comprise 1961's masterful FORBIDDEN FRUIT.
The collection's opening cut, Oscar Brown's "Rags And Old Iron," is as spookily hip as any Tom Waits recording, while the creepy tango "Just Say I Love Him," with Al Shackman's stark, compelling guitar work threaded through Simone's delicate piano lines, is a work of brilliance. The last seven tracks comprise her trio's appearance at the 1960 Newport Jazz Festival. The performances here are simply electrifying, one highlight being Simone's heartbreaking and soul baring version of Dorothy Fields and Jimmy McHugh's "I Loves You Porgy."
Nina SimoneAmazing Nina Simone / Nina Simone At Town Hall (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Art Blakey / The Modern Jazz QuartetWith Thelonious Monk / Blues At Carnegie Hall (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,903
- UPC: 090431620724
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD)(5)
$9.73 on SALE
Meet Betty Carter & Ray Bryant / Little Susie (with Ray... (CD)(5)
$10.98 on SALE
Pop Vocal Music Categories:
- Hugh "Peanuts" Whalum Peanuts Whalum (CD) ~ $11.68
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Beegie Adair Moments To Remember (CD) ~ $10.78
- Beegie Adair Some Enchanted Evening (CD) ~ $11.68
On Broadway (CD)
$3.87 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE