The Essex Easier Said Than Done / A Walkin' Miracle
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Bobby Rydell ~ The Best of 1959-1964 (Cameo Parkway) ~ $9.98
- by The Crystals ~ Da Doo Ron Ron: The Very Best of the Crystals ~ $6.02
- by The Jelly Beans ~ Jelly Beans and Friends ~ $8.43 (Save 35%)
- by Damita Jo ~ Very Best of Damita Jo ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Peter, Paul and Mary ~ The Very Best of Peter, Paul & Mary ~ $16.13
- The album "Easier Said Than Done" was originally released in 1963 as Roulette-25234. "A Walkin' Miracle" was originally released in 1963 as Roulette-25235.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Essex was a R&B quintet formed by members of the U.S. Marine Corps in 1962. Their success happend practically overnight. Their first recording "Easier Said Than Done" hit the top of both the Pop and R&B charts. The two albums featured on this disc features some fine examples of infectious '60s "girl group" Pop.
- 1.Easier Said Than Done
- 2.Whenever I Need My Baby
- 3.Where Is He
- 4.All In My Mind
- 5.Every Night
- 6.I Love Her
- 7.Are You Going My Way
- 8.Been So Long
- 9.Come On To My Party
- 10.I Have To Cry
- 11.Conga Laya
- 12.We Belong Together
- 13.A Walkin' Miracle
- 14.What I Don't Know Won't Hurt Me
- 15.She's Got Everything
- 16.Curfew Lover
- 17.Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- 18.Dance Without Music
- 19.Crawl Before You Walk
- 20.Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
- 21.More Than It Would Help
- 22.I Want The Real True Thing
- 23.I'd Do Anything
- 24.Quit While You're Ahead
2 LPs on 1 CD: EASIER SAID THAN DONE (1963)/A WALKIN' MIRACLE (1963).
The Essex: Anita Humes, Billy Hill (vocals); Walter Vickers, Rudolph Johnson (guitar); Rodney Taylor.
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Recording information: Narbeth, PA.
The Essex's lead singer Anita Humes sounded and looked like Florence Ballad (Supremes). She must have been a huge fan of early Motown, because many of these selections mimic the sound. Humes and the rest of the group -- Walter Vickers, Rodney Taylor, Rudy Johnson, and Billie Hill -- were active Marine Corps members when the bubblegum-ish "Easier Said Than Done" zoomed to Number 1 on July 6, 1963. Collectables combined their two most successful albums on this CD. Walkin' Miracle, which was similar to Easier . . . shot to Number 12, their only other chart record was "She's Got Everything" (included), but don't let that put you off. Their two big hits were aberrations, they had a much more soulful persona as they prove on "I Love Her," and "Every Night," which sounds like Smokey Robinson's productions on Mary Wells with the Lovetones accompanying. "Whenever I Need My Baby" showcases the fellas' pleasant harmony. They weren't the Moonglows, but were smooth, crooners who blended in unison. Contains some good ballads, exquisitely done by Humes including "All in My Mind" and upbeat numbers like Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers' "Why Do Fools Fall in Love." Listening to Humes you wonder why Berry Gordy didn't give her a call for the Supremes gig when Florence got the pink slip. ~ Andrew Hamilton
The DriftersClyde McPhatter & The Drifters / Rockin' & Driftin' (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Based on 18 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Very good music of the 60s Music Lover: Frdric RITZENTHALER from STRASBOURG, Bas-Rhin FR -- March, 14, 2008
This CD contains titles of a quality which makes rare at present
- Sales Rank: 9,699
- UPC: 090431620427
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Ask the Girl Who Knows: The Best of 1958-1969 (CD)(2)
$13.17 Super Savings
Da Doo Ron Ron: The Very Best of the Crystals (CD)(13)
$6.02 Super Savings
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE