|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 27 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: September 9, 2003
- Originally Released: 1939
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer|
|Performer:||Carol Hughes, Lee Bowman, Astrid Allwyn, Maria Ouspenskaya & Maurice Moscovich|
|Directed by||Leo McCarey|
|Edited by||Edward Dmytryk & George Hively|
|Screenwriting by||Donald Ogden Stewart, Delmer Daves & Donald Stewart|
|Screenplay by||Delmer Daves & Donald Ogden Stewart|
|Original story by||Mildred Cram & Leo McCarey|
|Written by||Delmer Daves|
|Composition by||Roy Webb|
|Cinematography by||Rudolph Maté|
|Art Direction by||Van Nest Polglase|
|Story by||Mildred Cram & Leo McCarey|
|Produced by||Leo McCarey|
"...This comic/romantic weeper is a fixture on lists of 1939's best movies..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Love Affair, perhaps one of the most fondly-remembered romance movies of the 1930s, garnered many Academy Award nominations, including Dunne for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress (Maria Ouspenskaya), Best Story and Best Song ("Wishing").
LOVE AFFAIR was written, directed, and produced by Leo McCarey as his first major foray into drama after a successful directorial career in comedies, including projects with the Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy. McCarey remade LOVE AFFAIR almost 20 years later as the better-known AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr as the star-crossed couple. Film buffs continue to debate which film is the better, though viewers of either will be swept up by the timeless romance captured so effortlessly--twice!--by McCarey and his delightfully well-matched actors.
- The film was originally slated to go into production under the title LOVE MATCH.
- Before the cameras started rolling, RKO was contacted by the French embassy demanding that the studio not go ahead with the project. They maintained that the illicit affair depicted between a Frenchman and an American woman would tarnish the image of France at a point when they were vying for U.S. military and popular support against Germany. The French authorities were willing to take the matter to Washington, DC. As a result of this, the script was toned down.
- The story had reportedly been loosely based on the life of a woman whom screenwriter Delmer Daves had met on a ship to Europe. She was being escorted out of the States for carrying on an affair with a married small-town public official.
- The Hays Office had its own moral issues with the script and had strong objections to some of the earlier treatments. It issued a statement that the story was "violently in conflict with both the spirit and the letter of the Production Code," condemning the plot as a "low-toned, sordid story of gross sexual irregularities." Later the treatment was approved with a caveat stating that the "immoral conduct of these people must not be condoned" and that "both immoral parties must be punished."
- Songs in the film include "Wishing" by by B.G. DeSylva and "Sing My Heart" by Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler.
- LOVE AFFAIR was remade in 1957 as AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr and in 1994 as LOVE AFFAIR with Annette Bening and Warren Beatty.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 54 ratings.
very fast deliverY very pleased with product
- Sales Rank: 9,560
- UPC: 089218618993
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~
$2.98 Super Savings
50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~
$4.98 Super Savings
50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~
$4.98 Super Savings
The 5th Dimension 5th Dimension - Travelling Sunshine Show (DVD) ~
$14.11 Super Savings
Paula Abdul Straight Up (VHS) ~
$1.50 Super Savings
Dramas Movie Categories:
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.