Leon Russell Life Journey
|You Save:||$1.39 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 1, 2014
- Originally Released: 2014
- Label: Blue Note Records
Rolling Stone3.5 stars out of 5 -- "[A] wry collection of blues, jazz and pop oldies fleshed out by two Russell compositions..."
Paste (magazine) - "Leon Russell's voice sounds like parched earth, cracked and its essence crawled out: raw, blistering, molten to the touch and savory in all the right places."
- 1.Come On In My Kitchen
- 2.Big Lips
- 3.Georgia On My Mind
- 4.That Lucky Old Sun
- 6.Think of Me
- 7.I Got It Bad & That Ain't Good
- 8.The Masquerade is Over
- 9.I Really Miss You
- 10.New York State of Mind
- 11.Fool's Paradise
- 12.Down In Dixieland
Audio Mixer: Al Schmitt.
Liner Note Author: Leon Russell.
Recording information: Capitol Studios; Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA; Electric Lady Studios, New York, NY; HM Studios, New York, NY.
Photographer: Ryan Roth.
Prior to his Elton John-endorsed career resurrection via the 2010 duet album The Union, Leon Russell cranked out self-released oddities to little notice. Once The Union again made Russell a draw, there was little chance that he would revive his MIDI keyboards, and Life Journey indeed stays far, far away from those cramped, tinny settings, preferring to revive the loose-limbed, woolly Tulsan rock & roll that made his reputation. Working with Tommy LiPuma -- a veteran producer who had never recorded with Russell but who helmed many successful jazz sessions, including George Benson's Grammy-winning Breezin' -- Russell primarily sticks to standards, whether they're by Robert Johnson, Hoagy Carmichael, or Billy Joel, and that's how it should be. Although he's a fine songwriter, as evidenced here by his two originals -- "Big Lips" and "Down in Dixieland," raucous numbers both -- Russell is a stylist, bending songs to fit his swinging piano and slow drawl. He may occasionally follow a straight line with a ballad but he knows how to draw out the phrases on "That Lucky Old Sun," finding an unexpected contour in familiar melody, and he finds funk in "Come On in My Kitchen" while tearing up "Fever" and leaving "New York State of Mind" as a splashy big-band celebration of the Big Apple. This small list suggests how Life Journey touches upon much of the music Russell has sung over the years -- it's heavy on R&B, blues, jazz, and swing, but strangely lacking in much country -- and LiPuma is a perfect match for this celebratory approach. Where The Union occasionally veered toward the austere, Life Journey is robust and soulful, emphasizing the raggedness of Russell's voice and smooth boogie in his playing. It's a joyous thing to hear, a record that recaptures much of the magic of Leon's Shelter records without being fussy. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
The Neville BrothersAuthorized Bootleg: Warfield Theatre, San Francisco, CA...
Wanda JacksonBefore The Music Died: The Complete Recordings 1954-1962...
$12.54 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- George Jones / Tammy Wynette Golden Ring / Near You (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- The Browns Complete As & Bs and More 1954 - 62 (CD) ~ $14.22 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE