Elvis Costello Momofuku
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 5, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Lost Highway
Rolling Stone - p.713.5 stars out of 5 -- "[N]o one can turn vitriol into art better than Elvis Costello. This fact is reconfirmed by MOMOFUKU..."
Entertainment Weekly - p.122"Soul ballad 'Flutter & Wow' might be the best of his rare love songs, and harmonies from Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis add elegance to this garagey mix." -- Grade: A-
Record Collector (magazine) - pp.88-894 stars out of 5 -- "[T]here's a rough'n'ready garage feel that harks back to the past: Steve Nieve's stabbing Vox Continental organ parts on 'American Gangster Time' and 'Go Away' have the cut-and-thrust of THIS YEAR'S MODEL."
- $1.29 on iTunes1.No Hiding Place
- $1.29 on iTunes2.American Gangster Time
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Turpentine
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Harry Worth
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Drum & Bone
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Flutter & Wow
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Stella Hurt
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Mr. Feathers
- $1.29 on iTunes9.My Three Sons
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Song With Rose
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Pardon Me, Madam, My Name is Eve
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Go Away
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Elvis Costello/Elvis Costello & the Imposters: Davey Faragher (vocals, background vocals); Steve Nieve (melodica, grand piano, Clavinet, organ, Wurlitzer organ); Pete Thomas (drums).
Personnel: Elvis Costello (vocals, guitar, baritone guitar, piano, organ, background vocals); Jonathan Wilson (vocals, guitar, 12-string guitar); Johnathan Rice (vocals, guitar); Farmer Dave Scher (vocals, lap steel guitar, organ); Jenny Lewis (vocals); David Hidalgo (guitar, viola); Tennessee Thomas (drums).
Audio Mixer: Jason Lader.
Recording information: Sound City Studios, Van Nuys, CA (01/16/2008-02/14/2008).
Photographer: Jason Lader.
Over the course of the decade preceding MOMOFUKU, the notoriously eclectic Elvis Costello made albums with everyone from jazz guitarist Bill Frisell to opera singer Anne-Sofie Von Otter, but with the inauguration of his band the Imposters (essentially the old Attractions with a new bassist) with 2002's WHEN I WAS CRUEL, it felt like a rock-&-roll rebirth for the old New Waver. His third Imposters album, MOMOFUKU, is the most expansive of the three, combining the gritty attack of its two predecessors with the knotty angularity of Costello's 1989 album, SPIKE.
MOMOFUKU is front-loaded with straight-ahead rockers ("No Hiding Place," "American Gangster Time") that recall Costello's glory days with the Attractions, but soon enough he begins shifting methods and modes. The piano-led "Mr. Feathers" betrays a strong Beatles/Kinks influence, while "Harry Worth" bares an exotic aura and a laid-back bossa-nova-meets-Bond-film flavor. A musical magpie at heart, Costello can dazzle with diversity and get back to his roots at the same time.
Lynyrd Skynyrd20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best...
$4.48 Super Savings
Anne Sofie von OtterFor the Stars (Anne Sofie von Otter Meets Elvis Costello)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Unrated) (DVD)(316)
$4.98 on SALE
Saturday Night Live - Lost & Found: SNL in the 80s (DVD)(9)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 46 ratings.
Based on 46 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival (2-CD)(44)
$16.52 Super Savings
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Dion The Road I'm On: A Retrospective (2-CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 80s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE