From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by Les McCann ~ Talk To The People / River High, River Low ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1547 (1969)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Jazz pianist Les McCann came to fame in 1956 when he won a Navy talent contest as a singer. This original album from the vaults of Atlantic features a singing and piano-playing McCann. The stellar line-up of talent includes Billy Cobham, Ron Carter, and Joel Dorn as producer, as well as famed singer Roberta Flack, who also contributed the liner notes. Memorable tracks include "Unless It's You," "How Many Broken Wings," and "Yours Is My Heart Alone."
- 1.How Many Broken Wings
- 2.Can't We Be Strangers Again
- 3.Unless It's You
- 4.What I Call Soul
- 6.Baby, Baby
- 7.Yours Is My Heart Alone
Personnel includes: Les McCann (vocals, piano, electric piano); Robert Flack (vocals, piano); Seldon Powell (soprano saxophone, alto flute); Richard Landry (baritone saxophone); Junior Mance (piano); Roland Hanna (harpsichord); Stanley Cowell (organ); Billy Butler Ron Carter (acoustic & electric basses); Billy Cobham (drums).
Recorded at Atlantic and Regent Recording Studios, New York, New York. Originally released on Atlantic. Includes liner notes by Roberta Flack.
Personnel: Les McCann (vocals, piano, keyboards).
Liner Note Author: Roberta Flack.
Recording information: Atlantic Recording Studios, New York, NY (08/19/1969-10/22/1969); Regent Sound STudios, New York, NY (08/19/1969-10/22/1969).
The godfather of contemporary jazz-soul chills, changing the pace from his electrifying collaborations with Eddie Harris -- Swiss Movement and Second Movement -- that preceded and followed this mellow set of mostly love songs, which includes four selections from the pens of Helen and Kay Lewis (aka the Lewis Sisters). Two cuts, "Baby, Baby" and "Can't We Be Strangers Again," were originally done by Motown's Miracles and Edwin Starr & Blinky respectively. "How Many Broken Wings" and "What I Call Soul" are the sisters' other contributions, and McCann executes them to perfection. The keyboardist plays with an underlying intensity on Bill Evans' "Unless It's You," while the title track is good hard bop. Atlantic Records hasn't reissued this LP, so you have to rummage the Goodwills, online sites, and flea markets for a copy. ~ Andrew Hamilton
Milt JacksonArt of Milt Jackson / Soul Brothers (with Ray Charles)... (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE