Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$10.99 (85% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Jimmy Giuffre / Mabel Mercer ~ Only The Best of Jimmy Giuffre (3-CD) ~ $29.98 (Save 30%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1238 (1956)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A multi-reed player, Jimmy Guiffre played in an army band during his stint in the service, and then he performed with the orchestras of Jimmy Dorsey, Buddy Rich, and Woody Herman. As a prolific and inventive arranger-composer, Guiffre's work displays his fascination with texture and swing. With top-notch instrumentation, first-rate players, and various genres represented, this CD offers a variety of musical moods and stand-out tunes such as "Deep Purple," "Down Home," and George Gershwin's "Fascinatin' Rhythm."
- 1.So Low
- 2.Deep Purple
- 3.The Side Pipers
- 4.My Funny Valentine
- 5.Quiet Cook
- 6.The Sheepherder
- 7.Fascinatin' Rhythm
- 8.Down Home
Personnel: Jimmy Giuffre (clarinet); Dave Pell (tenor saxophone, English horn); Bob Cooper (tenor saxophone, oboe); Maury Berman (baritone saxophone, bassoon); Harry Edison, Shorty Rogers, Jack Sheldon (trumpet); Buddy Collette (flute, alto clarinet); Bud Shank (alto flute); Harry Klee (bass flute, bass clarinet); Jimmy Rowles (piano, celeste); Ralph Pena (bass); Stan Levey, Shelly Manne (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1238).
Personnel: Jimmy Giuffre (clarinet); Buddy Collette (flute, alto clarinet); Bud Shank (alto flute); Harry Klee (bass flute, bass clarinet); Bob Cooper (oboe, tenor saxophone); Dave Pell (English horn, tenor saxophone); Harry "Sweets" Edison , Jack Sheldon, Shorty Rogers (trumpet); Jimmy Rowles (piano, celesta); Shelly Manne (drums).
Recording information: 03/21/1956-03/22/1956.
This continually interesting set finds Jimmy Giuffre sticking exclusively to his cool-toned clarinet, mostly playing in the lower register, in several settings. The thought-provoking and generally relaxed works feature a wide variety of instrumentation. Giuffre takes "So Low" as an unaccompanied solo, duets with Jimmy Rowles' celeste on "Deep Purple," plays a fairly free "Fascinatin' Rhythm" in a Benny Goodman-type trio with pianist Rowles and drummer Shelly Manne, performs with a couple of other trios (including a group consisting of his clarinet, an alto clarinetist, and a bass clarinetist), uses three flutes and drums on the atonal "The Side Pipers" and three woodwinds plus bassist Ralph Pena on an atmospheric "My Funny Valentine," concluding with a nonet blues. A very interesting album, last available as a 1984 Atlantic LP. ~ Scott Yanow
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Jimmy GiuffreJimmy Giuffre 3 / The Music Man (Original Jazz Album) (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Max RoachMax Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Bob Brookmeyer / Jimmy GiuffrePortrait of The Artist / The Four Brothers Sound (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 982
- UPC: 090431616222
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow: Songs from the Heart of the Church (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE