Teddy Charles Tentet
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$10.99 (85% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Paul Desmond ~ Bossa Antigua ~ $5.97
by Bill Evans ~ Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of the Gate (2-CD Box Set) $20.24
by Clark Terry ~ Memories of Duke $9.71
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1229 (1956)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A Juilliard-trained classical pianist-vibraphonist, Teddy Charles brought his valuable technique, knowledge and training to a variety of big bands in addition to his own ensemble. This 1956 Atlantic recording is considered one of his finest, and features, in addition to his self-penned and arranged songs, writing contributions by Gil Evans on "You Go To My Head," Jimmy Giuffre on "The Quiet Time," and George Russell on "Lydian M-1."
- 2.The Quiet Time
- 3.The Emperor
- 4.Nature Boy
- 5.Green Blues
- 6.You Go To My Head
- 7.Lydian M-1
Personnel: Teddy Charles (vibraphone); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); J.R. Monterose (tenor saxophone); George Barrow, Sol Schlinger (baritone saxophone); Peter Urban (trumpet); Mal Waldron (piano); Jimmy Raney (guitar); Teddy Kotick (bass); Joe Harris (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1229).
Personnel: Teddy Charles (vibraphone); Jimmy Raney (guitar); Gigi Gryce (alto saxophone); J.R. Monterose (tenor saxophone); Sol Schlinger, George Barrow (baritone saxophone); Peter Urban (trumpet); Don Butterfield (tuba); Mal Waldron (piano).
Liner Note Author: Teddy Charles.
Most of this CD features vibraphonist Teddy Charles heading an advanced tentet in 1956, a unit including the likes of trumpeter Art Farmer, altoist Gigi Gryce, tenor saxophonist J.R. Monterose, pianist Mal Waldron, and guitarist Jimmy Raney. The arrangements of George Russell ("Lydian M-1"), Gil Evans (a year before Miles Ahead), Jimmy Giuffre, Mal Waldron, and Charles are quite advanced but often leave room for some swinging spots. The final three selections on the CD are actually taken from a slightly later album. Of these, "Blue Greens" is a change of pace, a quartet outing for Charles, pianist Hall Overton, bassist Charles Mingus, and drummer Ed Shaughnessy. All in all, this CD is pretty definitive of Teddy Charles' more adventurous music of the 1950s and it grows in interest with each listening. ~ Scott Yanow
Barney KesselBreakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin... (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 801
- UPC: 090431616123
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow: Songs from the Heart of the Church (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
The Very Best of 10cc [Import] (CD)
$16.04 Super Savings
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of 1910 Fruitgum Company (CD-R) ~ $11.98 on SALE
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE