Sounds of The Inner City (with Teddy Charles)
Collectables Jazz Classics (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$7.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.99 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Charles Mingus / Eric Dolphy ~ Cornell 1964 (2-CD) ~ $20.97
- Features Booker Little (trumpet), Booker Ervin (tenor sax), Teddy Charles (vibraphonist), Mal Waldron(piano), Addison Farmer (bass), Ed Shauhnessy, (drums) Recorded in 1960
- The album was originally titled "Teddy Charles New Directions quartet featuring Booker Little and Booker Ervin".
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Trumpeter Booker Little's style incorporated elements of Hard-Bop and Avant-Garde, while Booker Ervin's tenor saxophone poured out a distinctive emotional tone. Together, they meld their unique styles to give a fresh treatment to their own individual compositions as well as classics like "Stardust."
- 4.Confined Few
- 5.Blues De Tambour
- 6.Witch Fire
Personnel includes: Booker Little (trumpet); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone).
Includes liner notes by Mark Marymount.
Personnel: Booker Little (trumpet).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Recording information: 1960.
Two masters of hard bop, trumpeter Booker Little and tenor saxophonist Booker Ervin, square off on this 1960 session reissued by Collectables as Sounds of the Inner City. This date has been released under various titles over the years since its original inception as Teddy Charles' New Directions Quartet Featuring Booker Little and Booker Ervin. Most of the material is straight-ahead bop under the leadership of vibraphonist Teddy Charles with Mal Waldron on piano, Addison Farmer on bass, and Ed Shaunesssy on drums. This is a noteworthy reissue considering that there are so few instances of Little's lyrical trumpet style and Ervin's passionate tenor recorded together. Original compositions include Ervin's "Scoochie," Little's "The Confined Few" and "Witch Fire," Shaunessy's "Blues de Tambour," pianist Ahmad Jamal's "Cycles," plus the standard "Stardust" (receiving an especially melancholy treatment.) The only complaint is the lack of liner notes, which excludes information on personnel and session history. ~ Al Campbell
Phineas Newborn, Jr.Plays Harold Arlen's Music From "Jamaica" / Fabulous Phineas (CD)
$3.98 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 53,520
- UPC: 090431613122
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Collectables Jazz Classics Product Series:
- Bunny Berigan I Can't Get Started (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER SALE
- Art Blakey Hard Bop / Paris Concert (CD) ~ $7.78 CYBER SALE
- Teresa Brewer Songs of Bessie Smith / The Cotton Connection (CD) ~ $7.78 CYBER SALE
- Bob Brookmeyer Brookmeyer (CD) ~ $3.18 CYBER SALE
- Ray Bryant Cold Turkey (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Eddie Harris Versatile Eddie Harris / Sings The Blues (2-CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Herbie Mann Roar of The Greasepaint / Today (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE