The Golden Age of American Popular Music: The Folk Hits
by Various Artists
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$16.04 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.95 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 8, 2008
- Label: Ace Records Uk
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1053 stars out of 5 -- "Gale Garnett's 'We'll Sing In The Sunshine' stands out....As a collection, this does evoke the feel of the time..."
- 1.Walk Right In - The Rooftop Singers
- 2.If I Had a Hammer - Peter, Paul & Mary
- 3.Where Have All the Flowers Gone - The Kingston Trio
- 4.Green Green - New Christy Minstrels
- 5.It Ain't Me Babe - Johnny Cash
- 6.Michael - The Highwaymen
- 7.We Shall Overcome - Joan Baez
- 8.Greenback Dollar - The Kingston Trio
- 9.Stranger in Your Town, A - The Shacklefords
- 10.Winkin Blinkin and Nod - The Simon Sisters
- 11.Ballad of the Alamo - Bud & Travis
- 12.Tom Dooley - The Kingston Trio
- 13.Dollar Down, A - The Limeliiters
- 14.Greenfields - The Brothers Four
- 15.Silver Threads and Golden Needles - The Springfields
- 16.We'll Sing in the Sunshine - Gale Garnett
- 17.Hootenanny - The Glencoves
- 18.Don't Let the Rain Comedown - Serendipity Singers
- 19.Reverend Mr. Black - The Kingston Trio
- 20.Please Don't Sell My Daddy No More Wine - The Greenwoods
- 21.Lizzie Borden - Chad Mitchell Trio
- 22.Ode to a Little Brown Shack - Billy Edd Wheeler
- 23.Cottonfields - The Highwaymen
- 24.There's a Meetin' Here Tonight - Joe & Eddie
- 25.Tom Cat - The Rooftop Singers
- 26.Summer's Come and Gone - The Brandywine Singers
- 27.Little Boxes - Pete Seeger
- 28.Unicorn, The - The Irish Rovers
Liner Note Author: Rob Finnis.
Arrangers: Seeger, Petersen + Marsalis; Frank Hamilton; Frank Warner; Guy Carawan; John A. Lomax; Alan Lomax; Zilphia Horton.
Part of Ace Records' excellent ongoing series of various artist anthologies covering various musical styles of the 20th century, THE GOLDEN AGE OF AMERICAN POPULAR SONG: THE FOLK HITS also functions as a concise introduction to the collegiate folk revival of the 1950s and '60s. The collection's starting point is songs that hit the Billboard charts, including such popular favorites as the Rooftop Singers' "Walk Right In," the New Christy Minstrels' "Green Green," and the Kingston Trio's "Tom Dooley." Where some anthologies boost their hipster cred through rarities and obscure tracks, this fine set is more geared for newcomers to the style.
The Golden Age of American Popular Music, Volume 1
$14.72 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 5 (2-CD) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- The Five Boroughs Doo Wop Under The Palms (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE