- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: March 27, 2007
- Originally Released: 1965
- Label: Legend Films
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Stereo - Italian
- Subtitles - English - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2002
"...Reverential, beautifully shot....Pasolini uses sound and music ingeniously....The landscapes are stunning..."
Total Film - 06/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "Pasolini tells his story with unblinking simplicity, shooting documentary-style."
Christ's life is presented with respect for the traditional religious doctrine of the Church, but Pasolini's trademark naturalism "humanizes" his subject and makes him his own. The documentary-style camera captures Christ's meetings with the men who were to become his disciples, the Last Supper, the betrayal by Judas, and the Crucifixion. The impassioned music of Bach, Mozart, and Prokofiev lends a further aura of spiritual intensity to the proceedings.