30th Anniversary Concert Celebration [Deluxe Edition] (2-CD)
|You Save:||$0.50 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 3, 2014
- Originally Released: 2014
- Label: Sony Legacy
Rolling Stone - 9/16/93, p.724 Stars - Excellent - "...an extraordinary tribute....a remarkable moment of rock history and a fitting testimonial to a body of songs so deeply familiar that melodies, images and even turns of phrase have entered our common language..."
Entertainment Weekly - 9/17/93, p.90"...a streamlined, high-tech extravaganza that does its best to catch the emotional high of the old concert films..." - Rating: B
Q - 9/93, p.863 Stars - Good
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Like a Rolling Stone - John Mellencamp
- 2.Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat - John Mellencamp
- 3.Introduction - Kris Kristofferson
- 4.Blowin' in the Wind - Stevie Wonder
- 5.Foot of Pride - Lou Reed
- 6.Masters of War - Eddie Vedder / Mike McCready
- 7.The Times They Are A-Changin' - Tracy Chapman
- 8.Introduction - Kris Kristofferson
- 9.It Ain't Me Babe - June Carter Cash / Johnny Cash
- 10.What Was It You Wanted - Willie Nelson
- 11.I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Kris Kristofferson
- 12.Highway 61 Revisited - Johnny Winter
- 13.Seven Days - Ron Wood
- 14.Just Like a Woman - Richie Havens
- 15.When the Ship Comes In - The Clancy Brothers / Robbie O'Connell
- 16.Introduction - Johnny Cash
- 17.You Ain't Goin' Nowhere - Mary Chapin Carpenter / Rosanne Cash / Shawn Colvin
- 18.Don't Think Twice, It's All Right [Rehearsal, Oct 15, 1992] - Eric Clapton
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - Neil Young
- 2.All Along the Watchtower - Neil Young
- 3.I Shall Be Released - Chrissie Hynde
- 4.Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - Eric Clapton
- 5.Emotionally Yours - The O'Jays
- 6.When I Paint My Masterpiece - The Band
- 7.Absolutely Sweet Marie - George Harrison
- 8.License to Kill - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- 9.Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- 10.Mr. Tambourine Man - Roger McGuinn
- 11.It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) - Bob Dylan
- 12.My Back Pages - Bob Dylan / Roger McGuinn / Tom Petty / Neil Young / Eric Clapton / George Harrison
- 13.Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Everyone
- 14.Girl from the North Country - Bob Dylan
- 15.I Believe in You [Afternoon Rehearsal, Oct 16, 1992] - Sinead O'Connor
Engineers include: Phil Gitomer, Peter Hefter, Sean McClintock.
Recorded at Madison Square Garden, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by David Wild.
Neil Young's performance of "All Along The Watchtower" was nominated for a 1994 Grammy Award as "Best Rock Vocal Performance, Solo."
Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton and George Harrison's performance of "My Back Pages" was nominated for a 1994 Grammy Award as "Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal."
A video version of THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT CELEBRATION, which contains a few extra tracks, is available on LaserDisc and VHS on Sony Music Videos (49165).
THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT CELEBRATION documents a special concert given in honor of Bob Dylan's 30th anniversary in the music business. This video includes rehearsal, backstage and interview footage.
THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT CELEBRATION is available on CD and cassette on Columbia (53230).
Tributee: Bob Dylan.
Tributee: Bob Dylan.
Audio Mixers: Dave Hewett; David Thoener.
Liner Note Authors: Bill Flanagan; David Wild.
Editor: Steve Berkowitz .
Photographer: Ken Regan.
To commemorate 30 years since the release of Dylan's first Columbia album, a marathon tribute concert was held at New York's Madison Square Garden, with a galaxy of stars and voices from the past taking part. The cumulative effect of this tribute was staggering, revealing just how much truly great Dylan material there is to choose from all of his periods. A firm nucleus of the three surviving members of Booker T. & the MG's, plus G.E. Smith on guitar and Jim Keltner and Anton Fig on drums, anchors the bands, and most of the stars offer fresh slants on songs familiar and obscure. Among the more memorable interpretations are Richie Havens' moving "Just Like a Woman," completely within his style; the Clancy Brothers' fervent conversion of "When the Ship Comes In" to an Irish folk idiom; the swinging, countrified "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" from Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, and Rosanne Cash; and a sullen "Masters of War" by Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready on acoustic guitars. Lou Reed went through the bootlegs to come up with the pounding "Foot of Pride," which is perfectly suited to Reed's declamatory style. Eric Clapton shrugs off his diffident manner to deliver one of the most electrifying performances of his life in "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" -- each guitar lick and vocal cuts angrily to the bone -- and George Harrison makes his first U.S. concert appearance in 18 years with "Absolutely Sweet Marie." Dylan himself appears at the end, wildly improvisational and harshly authentic in voice on "It's Alright, Ma" and "Girl of the North Country." By no means does this box contain the entire concert, though, and while the reason was probably to make the thing fit on two well-packed CDs, some of the deletions are inexplicable. To cite just a few examples, Harrison's "If Not for You" is missing; so are Clapton's "Love Minus Zero, No Limit" and some numbers by Booker T. & the MG's ("Gotta Serve Somebody" and "Lay Lady Lay" are in Stax's Time Is Tight box). Even Dylan's own performance of "Song to Woody" is not here; the booklet pleads "technical problems" but it sounded fine on the live telecast. Nevertheless, enough of the concert is here to suggest its triumph -- and all were reminded that the fountainhead of all of this music was still alive, creative, and unwilling to be consigned to the history books. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Bob Dylan30th Anniversary Concert Celebration [Deluxe Ed.] (Blu-ray)
$22.44 Super Savings
Tim HardinThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$8.34 Super Savings
Grateful DeadBirth Of The Dead Volume Two (The Live Sides) (2-LPs -...
Bob Dylan & The Band's Basement Tapes Influences: Original...
$15.62 Super Savings
Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan - Honoring 50...
$22.15 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 62 ratings.
Based on 62 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE