- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 5, 2000
- Originally Released: 1979
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
A real-life haunted house becomes a frontpage story in this tale of a family whose Long Island dream home becomes an oozing, horrific nightmare. The brutal murder of six people just one year previous causes the new tenants some restless nights, to say the least! THE AMITYVILLE HORROR is based on the "non-fiction" book by Jay Anson. Academy Award nominations: Best Original Score.
A family moves into a Long Island house that has a disturbing past. Soon after they move in, they too believe the stories of the house being haunted. Ooze comes out of the walls, doors mysteriously and violently swing open, and flies descend. After priests' attempts to exorcise the house do not stop the unexplained and horrible occurences; the family moves out, 28 days after they moved in.
Demonic Possession |
Haunted Houses |
Theatrical Release |
- "The Amityville Horror" is based on an allegedly true story about a house in Amityville, Long Island. The town of Amityville did not want the film shot there, so it was shot in Tom's River, New Jersey, instead. Many Amityville residents discredit the stories of the house's possesion, and the family that moved in after the family depicted in the film lived there with no trouble.
- By 1982, this film made Filmways (its distribution company) $35 million, the most at that point in time for an independent feature.