|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: February 24, 2004
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Cagney & Mae Clarke|
|Performer:||Edward Brophy & James Burke|
|Directed by||John G. Blystone|
|Screenplay by||Henry McCarthy, Henry Johnson & Harry Ruskin|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Cave quickly acts to turn everyone in, but his corrupt counterparts refuse to go quietly. Soon he exposes the hidden government agenda that has his coworkers bilking the American taxpayers out of several thousand dollars per year by stealing an equally small amount from everybody.
Although he's on the right side of the law, he has to rely on more than righteous words when it comes to saving his own neck. The villains manage to frame him on a phony blackmail charge that taints the public's view of Cave. Now he not only has to clean up the bureaucracy around him, but he must clear his own name, too.
- Released by Grand National
- Additional cast: Robert Gleckler (Cavanaugh); Douglas Wood (The Mayor); Grace Goodall (Mrs. Ogilvie)
- Additional crew: Henry McCarty (screenplay)
- Cagney's appearance in "Great Guy" ended a year-long absence from film. The Warner Bros. brass had decided to lay Cagney off because of the long legal skirmishes that resulted after his contract expired the prior year. He allegedly received numerous telegrams praising his return to the screen.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
In my mind I always see Cagney in a kitchen, next to a dog the color of his own food, a dog that doesn't know his name. Cagney is there, in the harsh-lit kitchen getting ready to backhand some dame that did him wrong. That said, that picture painted, I do think this is his best. He's a great guy, especially in this. Tough as turkey bacon, hard as rye whiskey, Jimmy Hoffa before he was even a sparkle in his mama's eye. I recommend every film he was ever in, here's to one great guy!
I would not rate this film as one of James Cagney's best, not by a long shot. But we are talking about a legend here, and Jimmy gives it his best shot. Not a bad film, but the story and script could have been developed better. It was interesting enough and contained enough action, to keep my attention.
- Sales Rank: 10,094
- UPC: 089218609397
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 10cc Live in Concert (DVD) ~ $14.81 CYBER WEEK
- 2 Pac Tupac - Hip Hop Genius (DVD) ~ $6.15 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac / Notorious B.I.G. Tupac Vs. Biggie: The Legacy Continues (DVD) ~ $8.63 CYBER WEEK