Old Town Records Presents City Blues
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$12.99 (87% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The world of Urban Blues - pioneered on the Old Town label - is explored on this CD. The pioneers of Urban Blues peppered their tracks with Big Band sounds and touches of Swing and R&B - among the great artists you'll hear here are Buddy Johnson and his sister Ella, Wild Bill Moore, Hal Paige & Wailers, and Bob Gaddy.
- 1.Hal Paige & The WailersRock This Joint This Morning
- 2.Hal Paige & The WailersGuitar Shuffle
- 3.Hal Paige & The WailersMy Angel Chile
- 4.Hal Paige & The WailersGuitar Blues
- 5.Buddy & Ella JohnsonI Got To Talk To Somebody
- 6.Buddy & Ella JohnsonLike You Do
- 7.Buddy & Ella JohnsonDon't Be Messin' With My Man
- 8.Buddy & Ella JohnsonKeep On Lovin' You
- 9.Ursula ReedHave A Good Time Baby
- 10.Ursula ReedYou're Laughin' 'Cause I'm Cryin'
- 11.Ursula ReedFool About The Man I Love
- 12.Ursula ReedUrsula's Blues
- 13.Guitar CrusherWhat About Me
- 14.Herman DunhamFine Little Thing
- 15.Bob GaddyThe Girl Who Promises
- 16.Bob GaddyEarly One Morning
- 17.Bob GaddyWoe Woe Is Me
- 18.Bob GaddyOperator
- 19.Bob GaddyYou Are The One
- 20.Wild Bill MooreBig Bubbles
- 21.Wild Bill MooreSlow Drag
- 22.Vicki EvansIt Was Just For Laughs
- 23.Lester YoungDown To The River
- 24.Larry DaleBig Muddy
- 25.Larry DaleWhat Your Love Means To Me
Includes liner notes by Peter Grendysa.
Personnel: Lester Young (tenor saxophone).
New York-based Old Town Records, run by brothers Hy Weiss and Sam Weiss, made its biggest splash as a doo wop label in the 1950s and early '60s, but the brothers also recorded a fair bit of jump blues, gospel, R&B, and early soul sides as well, and their records have a distinct Southern feel even though they were recorded in the North. This generous single-disc set focuses on jump blues pieces recorded for Old Town during that time span, including Hal Paige's smooth-rolling "My Angel Chile," Ella Johnson's breezy "I Got to Talk to Somebody," Larry Dale's almost rockabilly "Big Muddy," and a thundering "Down to the River" by Lester Young (not the same person as Pres, the legendary tenor sax player). A fine collection. ~ Steve Leggett
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 592
- UPC: 090431607626
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Blues: Jump Blues Music Categories:
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Sil Austin Great Sax (CD) ~
$8.45 Super Savings
- LaVern Baker Jim Dandy (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- LaVern Baker La Vern Baker / La Vern (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- LaVern Baker Only the Best of LaVern Baker (4-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $33.13 on SALE