Billy Bland Let The Little Girl Dance - Old Town Originals
|You Save:||$10.99 (73% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Billy Bland had a long history in the music business. He was a vocalist with the Lionel Hampton band before he struck out on his own and scored a Top 10 single in 1960 with "Let The Little Girl Dance". Best remembered for his powerful vocals, all of Bland's great cuts from the vaults of Old Town Records are included on this collection.
- 1.Let The Little Girl Dance
- 2.Can't Stop Here From Dancing
- 3.Fat Man
- 5.Oh, You For Me
- 6.You Were Born To Be Loved
- 7.Chicken Hop
- 8.I Had A Dream
- 9.Mamma Stole The Chicken
- 10.If I Could Be Your Man
- 11.Little Boy Blue
- 12.What's That
- 13.Chicken In The Basket
- 15.Open The Door
- 16.Grandma Gave A Party
- 17.Make Believe Lover
- 18.Uncle Bud
- 19.I Cross My Heart
- 20.Do The Bug With Me
- 21.Sweet Thing
- 22.Steady Kind
- 23.Keep Talkin' That Sweet Talk
- 24.All I Want To Do Is Cry
- 25.I Spend My Life Loving You
Includes liner notes by Peter Grendysa.
Digitally remastered by "Little" Walter DeVenne.
Personnel: Billy Bland (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Peter Grendysa.
Recording information: 1955-1963.
Billy Bland's one big hit, "Let the Little Girl Dance" from 1960, gives little indication of his range as a performer. This 29-track anthology of his OId Town recordings from 1955-1962 contains a surprising variety of music, from blues and R&B -- including no fewer than three songs about chickens -- to soul and teen idol pop. Because of his hit, a number of the songs target dance crazes or are about dancing in general, but there's more to Bland than that. "Oh, You for Me" borders on rockabilly, and "Uncle Bud" has strong country elements, which only adds to the impression that Bland was either incredibly adaptable or his producers were flailing about madly trying to score a hit. Both might be true, but Bland definitely demonstrates his versatility on these cuts, and acquits himself well as a blues shouter and a pop crooner. One of his best pop ballads, the self-composed "You Took My Love for Granted," wasn't even released prior to appearing on this collection. Let the Little Girl Dance has all of Bland's chart items (most of which, other than the title track, were very minor or regional hits), plus an alternate version of "Let the Little Girl Dance." Collectables' domestic anthology shares the same title but has four fewer songs and a different track sequence. ~ Greg Adams
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Good stuff. Music Lover: sg from ca -- March, 3, 2006
For those who remember his hit and loved his voice, more music is a treat... He had no other significant hits however, but the rest has his style with enough to enjoy.
- Sales Rank: 4,157
- UPC: 090431606629
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival (2-CD)(44)
$15.59 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE