The Best of Johnny Griffin
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$6 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 19, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Riverside
Record Collector (magazine) - p.904 stars out of 5 -- "[This] compilation cherry-picks the best moments from his recordings for Riverside in the 50s and 60s."
- 1.Johnny Griffin Quartet - "Cherokee"
- 2.Johnny Griffin - "Woody 'n' You"
- 3.Thelonious Monk Quartet with Johnny Griffin - "Rhythm-a-ning"
- 4.Johnny Griffin Sextet - "63rd Street Theme"
- 5.The Johnny Griffin / Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Quintet - "Tickle Tow"
- 6.Johnny Griffin Orchestra - "Wade in the Water"
- 7.The Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis / Johnny Griffin Quintet - "Straight, No Chaser"
- 8.Wes Montgomery - "Full House"
- 9.Johnny Griffin - "Autumn Leaves"
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Johnny Griffin (tenor saxophone); Wes Montgomery (guitar); Pat Patrick (alto saxophone); Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis , Edwin Williams (tenor saxophone); Charlie Davis (baritone saxophone); Clark Terry, Bob Bryant/Marshall Dodge, Blue Mitchell (trumpet); Julian Priester, Matthew Gee (trombone); Harold Mabern, Junior Mance, Kenny Drew, Ronnie Mathews, Thelonious Monk, Wynton Kelly (piano); Jimmy Cobb , Albert "Tootie" Heath, Philly Joe Jones, Roy Haynes, Ben Riley, Keith Copeland, Charlie Persip (drums).
Liner Note Author: Ashley Kahn.
Recording information: Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, CA (02/??/1958-10/17/1978); Minton's Playhouse, New York, NY (02/??/1958-10/17/1978); Plaza Sound Studios, New York, NY (02/??/1958-10/17/1978); Reeves Sound Studios, New York, NY (02/??/1958-10/17/1978); The Five Spot Cafe, Nwe York City (02/??/1958-10/17/1978); Tsubo, Berkeley, CA (02/??/1958-10/17/1978).
Photographer: Jan Persson.
Arranger: Norman Simmons.
While no innovator, the late Johnny Griffin was one of the greatest post-Sonny Rollins tenor saxophone stylists. Griffin combined the big, hard-edged tone of Rollins and Dexter Gordon with the blues roots of his Chicago upbringing--the result was a distinctively agile, speedy, and assertive style. This BEST OF collects Griffin's recordings for the Riverside and Fantasy labels circa 1953-78 (leaning toward the earlier years, as he relocated to Europe in 1963). Mostly bebop standards, BEST gives a dandy sampling of his early recordings as a leader--it's some of the best straight-up hard bop extant.
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$9.38 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 22,940
- UPC: 888072313323
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE