The Who The Who Sell Out [Deluxe Edition] (2-CD)
|You Save:||$3 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 16, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Geffen Records
Rolling Stone - 12/11/03, p.124Ranked #113 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "[I]t was a send-up of consumer culture, and the band's first stab at a concept album."
Rolling Stone - 10/28/99, p.1074.5 stars out of 5 - "...SELL OUT is the most successful concept album ever...To hear these 13 tracks is to be transported to the wistful, alternatingly painful and joyous territory that was the Who's...adolescence."
Melody Maker - 7/22/95, p.36Bloody Essential - "...a masterpiece. A glorious celebration of pop as useless commodity and a commercially corrupted art form....it crosses art-school intelligence with pop flash with neither being cheapened or degraded, and is, as such, a stupendous achievement..."
Q (Magazine) - p.1124 stars out of 5 -- "Revisiting it now, you can hear a hint of the monolithic rock that would make The Who a stadium act in the '70s, and the knowing humour that would inspire the best of such Britpop disciples as Pulp and Blur."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1174 stars out of 5 -- "[W]hat truly defines SELL OUT is its deference to the well-rehearsed language of pop. Kinks-like character vignettes and PET SOUNDS-parroting textures are the dominant influences."
NME (Magazine) - 7/22/95, p.499 (out of 10) - "...Townshend finally free of shackles....a stream of brittle, spangly pop songs...which are simply otherworldly....Like all truly great albums, SELL OUT isn't overrated. It's simply that you might not be ready for it yet."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.874 stars out of 5 -- "'I Can See For Miles' was the powerhouse....'I Can't Reach You' and 'Rael' both strayed beyond the previous template of the accepted notions of pop, rich in motifs that would return more fully-formed on TOMMY."
Uncut (magazine)5 stars out of 5 -- "[A]s this package joyously proves, they never made anything more entertaining or endearing."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Armenia City In The Sky (Incl. Two ""Radio London"" Jingles)
- 2.Heinz Baked Beans (Incl. ""More Music"" Jingle)
- 3.Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand (Acoustic / Incl. Premier Drums Commercial / Radio London Jingle)
- 4.Odorono (Incl. Radio London 'Smooth Sailing' Jingle)
- 5.Tattoo (Incl. 'Church of Your Choice' Radio London Jingle)
- 6.Our Love Was (Incl. Pussycat / Speakeasy / Rotosound Jingles, Commercials)
- 7.I Can See For Miles
- 8.I Can't Reach You (Incl. Charles Atlas Commercial)
- 9.Medac a. k. a. Spotted Henry
- 11.Silas Stingy
- 13.Real (1 & 2)
- 14.Rael - Naive (Incl. John Mason's Cars (Rehearsal) Commercial)
- 15.Someone's Coming (Incl. Radio London 'Weather Word' Jingle)
- 16.Early Morning Cold Taxi (Incl. Radio London News Bulletin Jingle)
- 17.Jaguar (Incl. Extra Wonderful Radio London Jingle)
- 18.Coke After Coke
- 19.Glittering Girl
- 20.Summertime Blues (Previously Unreleased)
- 21.John Mason Cars
- 22.Girl's Eyes (Incl. Bag O' Nails Jingle)
- 23.Sodding About (Previously Unreleased)
- 24.Premier Drums (Full Version Previously Unreleased)
- 25.Odorono (Final Chorus)
- 26.Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand (Mirasound Version)
- 27.Things Go Better With Coke
- 28.In The Hall of The Mountain King
- 29.Top Gear
- 30.Rael (1 & 2) (Remake Version - Incl. Track Records Jingle)
- 31.Armenia City In The Sky
- 32.Heinz Baked Beans
- 33.Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand
- 36.Our Love Was
- 37.I Can See For Miles
- 38.I Can't Reach You
- 39.Medac a. k. a. Spotted Henry
- 41.Silas Stingy
- 43.Rael (1 & 2) (Incl. Track Records Run - Off Groove)
- 44.Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand (U. S Single Version originally released as Us B - side to 'I Can See For Miles')
- 45.Someone's Coming (U. K Single Mix - Originally released as Us B - side to 'I Can See For Miles')
- 46.Relax (Early Rehearsal)
- 48.Glittering Girl (Previously Unreleased Version)
- 50.Our Love Was (Take 12 Rejected Mono Mix)
- 51.Rotosound Strings (With Final Note)
- 52.I Can See For Miles
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 24.Armenia City In The Sky - Kit Lambert, The Who
- 25.Great Shakes - The Who
This 1995 reissue of THE WHO SELL OUT includes songs and jingles not available on the original version.
The Who: Pete Townshend (vocals, guitar, piano); John Entwistle (vocals, bass); Roger Daltrey (vocals); Keith Moon (drums).
Additional personnel: Al Kooper (organ).
Producer: Kit Lambert.
Reissue producer: Jon Astley.
Recorded in 1967 & 1968.
Originally released on Track (612002/613002). Released in the U.S. on Decca (4950/74950) in 1968.
Includes liner notes by Dave Marsh.
Only three albums into its recording career, the Who had already begun to distance itself from its proletarian R&B beginnings. Here, songwriter Pete Townshend follows up on the rock-opera idea he had introduced on A QUICK ONE with the extended, multi-part composition "Rael" and would later expand upon with TOMMY. The band had also begun exploring the form of the concept album. The songs are connected by bits of fake radio commercials and brass fanfares, and there's a little of everything thrown into the mix. All-out rockers like the vengeful "I Can See For Miles" vie for the listener's attention with the romantic declarations of "Our Love Was" and the soft, folky "Maryanne With The Shaky Hand" on this impressively eclectic album.
Live in Vegas: The Vegas Job Reunion Concert (DVD)
$3.18 on SALE
Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More... (CD)
$24.66 Super Savings
Music from The Old Grey Whistle Test, Volume 2 (DVD)
$7.98 on SALE
What You Want Is in the Limo: On the Road with Led... (Book)
$6.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Woodstock: 40th Anniversary Director's Cut (2-DVD)
$21.71 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE