The Velvets Tonight Could Be The Night
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Available in a set:
- by Various Artists ~ Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 3 (10-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $39.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This R&B Doo Wop quintet hailed from Odessa, Texas, the same hometown as Roy Orbison - who also happened to be instrumental in helping the group get their first big break. Wonderful singers and interpreters of songs of others, they are best known for their 1961 hit, "Tonight (Could Be The Night)". This disc is comprised of 18 of their classics from the Monument vaults, and includes their most requested tunes.
- 1.Tonight (Could Be The Night)
- 2.That Lucky Old Sun
- 3.Spring Fever
- 5.My Love
- 6.Crying In The Chapel
- 7.Be Ever Mine
- 9.Let The Good Times Roll
- 10.Kiss Me
- 11.Who Has The Right
- 12.Time And Again
- 13.Here Comes That Song Again
- 15.I'm Trusting In You
- 17.I Can Feel It
- 18.Baby The Magic Is Gone
The Velvets: Virgil Johnson, Will Soloman, Mark Prince, Bob Thursby, Clarence Rigby.
Includes liner notes by Mark Marymont.
Personnel: Virgil Johnson, Clarence Rigsby, Robert Thursby (tenor); Will Soloman (baritone); Mark Prince (bass voice); Hank Garland, Harold Bradley (guitar); Boots Randolph (saxophone); Floyd Cramer (piano).
The Velvets, a '60s R&B/doo wop group from Odessa, TX, recordings featured Floyd Cramer's honky tonk piano, Boots Randolph's frantic saxophone, and other exemplary Nashville musicians. The African-American quintet was the prot‚g‚ of Roy Orbison, and while not the most dynamic doo wop group (you won't find them listed on many Top Ten or 20 favorite doo wop groups' surveys), they appeared to be having fun. Lead singer Virgil Johnson's classic tenor isn't really employed to its fullest potential because of the songs' so-so arrangements. And despite having the accompaniment of the Grand Old Opry's best, these recordings lack depth and that heart-on-my-sleeve conviction demanded by doo wop purists. Featured are the shining moments "Tonight Could Be the Night," "Lana," and "Laugh," written by Orbison and Joe Melson; a rendition of "That Lucky Old Sun"; and six by Johnson that represent the Velvets' true identity better than the other songs. ~ Andrew Hamilton
The MoonglowsThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$3.99 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,323
- UPC: 090431605523
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Only the Best of the Great Groups, Volume 3 (10-CD Bundle...
$39.98 CYBER WEEK
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER WEEK
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER WEEK
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER WEEK
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER WEEK