- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 13, 2008
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- Mono - French
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Shorts: Jusqu'au 23 Juillet 2005 Documentary Short
- Louis Malle, Director
- Maurice Ronet, Actor
- Booklet - With new essays by critic Michel Ciment, and historian Peter Cowie
Performers, Cast and Crew:
At his doctor's request, Alain, a disillusioned alcoholic writer, leaves a clinic in Versailles where he is drying out and returns to Paris to visit his friends and old haunts. Alain has made up his mind to commit suicide and, giving himself a 48 hour period, searches for reasons to live. Although his friends care a great deal for him, Alain cannot muster enough feeling for them. When he again examines the superficial lives they lead -- the very life he himself led -- Alain strengthens his resolve to kill himself.
Character Study |
Road To Ruin |
- Winner of the Special Jury Prize at the Venice Film Festival in 1963.
- Copyright 1963, Nouvelles Editions De Films.